Strict but Effective.. is this Healthy? [possible methods/triggering]

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Underground, Dec 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Underground

Underground Well-Known Member

I'm in a real jiffy with my weight at the moment. I'd rather not say what I am, but it is a lot bigger than I am supposed to be. I am not greedy, but I have turned to junk food and fast foods way too many times since I was 14 for comfort. Now I am 18 and a mess and I've had enough of it. So from something I've read on the internet I've come up with a plan to lose a lot of weight relatively fast as one of my New Year Resolutions (starting Jan 2nd)

I am going to consume only 500-600 calories per day. This will be in the form of healthy cereals and fruits, glasses of milk to maintain calcium for health bones/teeth. I am going to take vitamin/protein tablets to make sure I get my needed intake of such, drink loads of water and be more active, physically. I will do 50 goes on this sit up thing we have per day and do lots of walking. To defeat hunger pangs, I will suck on mints (mints destroy the taste of anything else I eat or drink) or smoke a ciggy instead (btw I already smoke sometimes). Smoking generally makes me less hungry, anyway.

I know that the calorific intake I'm supposed to have should really be 1,200c per day, but I feel like I am in a crisis and need to resort to desperate measures. However, what I'm asking is if through tablets and such, will I be able to keep myself energised and healthy? Oh and yes I am very aware of the fact it may 'yoyo' on me when I start to eat normally again (which is in the summer), but I am planning to gradually build up to eating healthily, rather than just suddenly start eating healthily again. That way, it shouldn't be too bad. I only want to drop to 9 stone (roughly 130 lbs). I don't want to drop to like 6 stone or something. I just want to have a healthy BMI again.

So besides the bad calorie intake, is there anything wrong with my plan?
  2. FlashingFlickering

FlashingFlickering Well-Known Member

Honestly, we probably can't tell you. We don't know the specifics of your weight, or any other conditions you may have. You really need to see a doctor before going on a diet, especially one this extreme (yes, anything below 1000 calories I consider extreme).
    Instead of relying on vitamin supplements, which tends to be unnatural and crappy for your body if used to get the full amount needed, you could still do the 1200 calories a day and then just exercise healthily (at least an hour a day is usually recommended) to burn some of it off.
    Also, if you're hungry, doing things to put that aside is bad! If you're hungry, it's for a reason. You need food. A mint or smoking won't get you that, and you'll just end up even more hungry later on.

Please, stop considering this diet until you see a proper healthcare professional about it...
  3. Well-Known Member

If you want to lose a significant amount of weight fast you're going to have to exercise more vigorously than walking and sit ups.
  4. Underground

Underground Well-Known Member

Well if I'm honest, the idea I got was off celeb that did it. No I don't think they're good role models, but if that made an average weight'd person skinny in 6 months (she dropped 4 stone) then it can make a fat person normal weight.

I don't want to drop like 10 stone or anything, I'm not that bad. Only 4'ish stone by August. I have a generally fast metabolism (I should be a LOT heavier with the way I eat, about 18 stone, but I'm much less than that) and I know that if you're overweight, it's faster anyway.

I do understand that I'll be eating virtually next to nothing and it is my fault for being this mess, but I just can't stand it anymore. I've dieted normally a few times, and yes it does work over time.. that is, until I hit a sharp rock in my life, get inpatient, depressed and give up and end up back in square one.

I just want to know if there's any serious health backlashes? I know about yoyo, but it's to my understanding that bad bones, hair falling out, etc. is caused by vitamin deficiency, not the actual dieting.
  5. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

No, don't do this. It'll only mean that the weight will pile back on again afterwards. The way to lose weight and keep it off is to eat healthily and to exercise consistently.

6. lulupop

lulupop Member

If you want to lose 4 stone by August you can do this quite healthily & easily- join slimming world- It is brilliant, on average people will lose 2lbs per week- so you will get your 4stone by august & the way of eating is healthy & you also get help with the way you feel about yourself. I started 2.5 months ago & have lost 2 stone.

Good luck in your journey, but make sure you don't slip into an unhealthy eating pattern.
  7. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

I like your enthusiasm but this diet is misguided. Eating mostly sugar with a very low caloric intake is not going to do great things for your body. You will shoot yourself in the foot and not see the progress you would like over time. If you are looking to lose weight as fast as possible without regard to muscle mass I would look into a ketogenic diet with low to moderate intensity cardio to start. If you want some help setting up a diet shoot me a PM. Good luck :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.