Strip searches ruled illegal by High Court

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by shades, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shades

shades Staff Alumni

As reported by Associated Press on 6-25-09 (if someone can link, please do..this is a very important ruling)

The Supreme Court of the United States ruled that strip searching in public schools is illegal. The case stems from an incident in a school in Arizona in which school officials STRIP-SEARCHED a 13 year old girl looking for "illegal" drugs. The school officials had a tip from another student that the girl was carrying extra strength Ibuprofen (which is basically like aspirin).

This is a very surprising ruling according to most legal scholars as the current make-up of the court leans toward the conservative angle on most issues. Yet the vote was 8-1 against the school in question. One other issue is that this took several years to get to the Supreme Court as the girl is now in college.

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Uhhh... Ibuprofen? Really? I'd take "family size" bottles of extra strength Advil to school on a regular basis (and so do many girls, since it relieves menstrual cramps!)

And strip-searching 13 year old girls, EVER? Wow. I'm amazed that that was ever legal!

4. MeAndYou

MeAndYou Well-Known Member

Yea that was def a case of school officials/officers going well beyond their jurisdiction. Absolutely ridiculous. Did they even inform the parent before they strip searched the poor girl? (i dont remember if that was mentioned)

Glad the court ruled this as illegal...unfortunately it had to go this far. Sometimes i wonder if common sense is really common at all....

5. reefer madness

reefer madness Account Closed

Good thing. Schools should never be allowed to strip search anybody for any reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.