struggling to lose it

vbuk

Staff Alumni
hello - this is my 1st time posting in this section.

im struggling to lose weight - i have to get it checked at the docs every month and i need to lose weight. ive been trying so so hard but nothing seems to work. i walk home from work almost every day - always on my feet at work. i try to eat healthily. last month i did loads - went to docs and i put weight on. this crushed me. i told him what id been doing. he thinks its muscle tho.

i feel like i have this obsession with food - i feel i have to eat loads. but after i eat i hate myself. i hate myself so so bad. i eat and i just want it out of me.

im not sure what else i can do. i need to set aims. but im not quite sure where to start. im in docs in 3 weeks. need to have lost weight. and im going to italy in summer - i really want to have lost loads by then.

not sure what else to say - thanks for reading

Clare xxx

Sadeyes

Staff Alumni
I had found that the more I focused on how much I weighed, the more I gained...I started focusing on one group of muscles, the core muscles, the stomach, the thighs and the back, and started strengthening them...as they became more in shape, I felt I had a better foundation for my body...because of many yrs of abuse, I had to re-own my body and I found that having a goal like that was helpful...just a thought...big hugs

lebigmac

For the quintessential full-body workout, I'd recommend you start rowing everyday. Running's good too if you just want to lose weight and don't necessarily care about shape. Work towards going hard for 20 minutes straight (it doesn't sound like much, but believe me it is). If your body's like mine, you'll be able to eat as much as you want and still lose weight. And be lean.

As far as I'm concerned, diets don't work, at least not in the long-term. All they're good for is making you depressed. Just concentrate on eating a lot of protein. Assuming you've been religious about your workout, in only a couple months you'll have the bod of a Greek god. Just don't blame me when you have to shoo off all the gentleman callers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Esmeralda

There are sites online that tell you how many calories your body needs each day. Subtract 500 calories from that and that is what you can eat. This alone will make you lose a pound per week. You can basically eat whatever you want as long as you do not exceed your calorie goal. Want cake? Eat cake! Just watch the calories. And THE most important thing about dieting is...CHEAT! One day per week, eat whatever you want and DO NOT feel guilty! You get one day to splurge, so do it! This will keep you motivated because the diet is not so hard that you will quit.

As far as excersizing goes, cardio is the best. This does not mean you need to run, but walking a treadmill for an hour will burn 300-500 cals.

3500 calories is equal to 1 pound...so you need to cut or burn 3500 cals a week to lose 1 pound.

That said, your doc is right. If you are working with weights, your muscle will build and muscle weighs MORE than fat, so don't be discouraged. Not only does muscle weigh more than fat, but it BURNS fat at a very fast rate, so the more muscle, the better.

Good luck and let me know if you want any advice! I've done my research! :)

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00