Struggling to recover

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by TheStruggle, Apr 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheStruggle

TheStruggle Active Member

I just wanted to say... it's really hard to recover. Even though I get to eat some things I like again, I'm still so afraid whenever I turn the scale on. How can I get over that fear? It's so hard to see a number and accept it.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Try not getting on the scales ok don't go there ok hugs

3. Growing Pains

Growing Pains Well-Known Member

I have been in the process of recovery since January. I have found that the best thing to do is avoid the scale. Don't get on it. Period. No if's, and's, or but's. If you are in treatment, request they do blind weighs (this means they will have you stand on the scale backwards and will not, under any circumstances, tell you your weight). If you are not, simple toss the scale. Throw it away. Break it. (Breaking it might bring some kind of psychological pleasure... for some of us, the scale becomes an enemy just as much as food - so breaking it is literally like defeating the enemy)

I have not stepped on a scale since January. I know how much I weighed then, and I don't think I've gained or lost much since then (I'm atypical, so I did not need to gain) but I could not tell you, to be honest. I mostly guess my weight. The world has not caved in, and it has actually helped me a lot.

4. TheStruggle

Thank you for your hugs. I'll try my best...

I'm afraid though... but I'll do my best.

5. I've been trying to recover since February and its so hard. Its taking all of my energy to eat. I know I would be happier if I could just lose weight but I'm afriad someone would notice.

6. TheStruggle

I know.. it is hard.. but we shouldn't give up, okay? Don't give up on recovery, don't give up on life. Please. :)

7. Just get rid of the scales. It will make you anxious. I didn't know how much I was for the past 5 years already. I rid the scales to avoid anxiety issues.

8. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi, the advice given is sound. Listen and get rid of the scales. You deserve happiness in your life and not this depression. Each day is going to be a struggle but with the support from here you can make it through. We all care as you can see from the replies so far. Just be happy and keep posting. Thank you for your kind words.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.