Struggling with sight and focus....

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by meaningless-vessel, Oct 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

Now it may seem a bit strange - for someone who has been used to spending a fair bit of time on this website alone over almost the last 2 years - in chat/on forum at various times for various lengths of time - to be struggling with sight - but I didn't realise just how troublesomely poor my eyesight truly was.

If I was to relax my eyes to a "normalised" focus rather than any form of squint - I can, with my glasses on, barely make out what exactly I am typing. But if I take my glasses off it all becomes a blue and I only know what it is I am typing through the power of touch-type and knowing where my fingers are upon the keyboard. It's not something I am usually found to be moaning because I get by with a high percentage of the time having a bit of a squint to focus on actually being able to read the words.

2.5 years ago (April 2011) was the last time I actually had a sight test - so I am 6 months overdue for one (supposed to have one every 2 years). I was informed that there was a possibility of early signs of cataracts (which I have very little knowledge of how the can affect the eyes) - but the last thing I would truly want is to have severe sight issues that were not monitored.

My mum's mum suffered with glaucoma - and I know that some conditions can skip a generation or two down the family line. Is it possible that glaucoma is one of them? Again, I have insufficient knowledge to be able to piece it together.

Maybe i'm just finding something different to have a whine about - but I seriously hope my eye test that I have booked in on Thursday doesn't throw up more spanners into the works because of how challenging it is for me if I don't squint to be able to see what the hell I have to do. I am fairly lucky that I am able to just about make out the words that I am typing at a relatively ok speed of 25-30 words per minute despite the not full focus even wearing the specs - and that I am also more confident in my ability to correctly spell the words (UK dictionary not US) - as I am finding that I am making a few less errors now than when I'd be typing in full flow. But I don't really want to rely on squinting so much if I can help it.

Any ideas anyone? Or should I just concentrate upon this eye test and see what happens from there?
  2. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

I'm sorry you're having some problems, but really happy to hear that you'll be getting your eyes checked this week.

Eye exams here include a "puff test" for glaucoma. (The doctor sets your chin on the rest and you stare straight ahead, and the machine blows a gentle but swift puff of air into your eye, and this somehow gives a measure of the pressure inside the eye.) I imagine eye exams in most countries include some test or other for eye pressure. Oh, and the puff test doesn't hurt, which is always nice.

I'd certainly mention your family history and your concerns to the doctor, because s/he has the knowledge and training to weigh risk factors and any relevant symptoms. You could be worrying needlessly and getting the truth from the doc can put worries to rest.

Also, since your concern is squinting at the computer, perhaps your eyes are tired and strained from the computer glare. The doc might recommend a screen shield to cut the glare. Another possibility is that you squint because the distance is not far away and not close up. I have glasses just for reading the computer screen (and they are useless for any other distance :) ).

Let us know how it goes. I am hoping it will all be fine! :)
  3. meaningless-vessel

I've had glasses since November 22nd 1988... I wasn't even 4.

It's only today that I've really paid any attention to it. Hence the concern that even wearing glasses I am squinting to focus on writing. Whether its on computer or not is still the same. (Had issues at work but squinted through it).

Sure feels a bit disheartening - but I think I'll have to try to focus somehow :?
  4. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Stress and fatigue can also interfere with vision. (Stressing isn't going to help, it'll just make you feel worse, methinks.) I'd go with getting yourself checked out and reassured. It could just be enough of a change that you need new lenses. People's eyesight does tend to change over a lifetime. :hug:

PS: "focus" - pun intended, or fortunate choice of words?
  5. meaningless-vessel

Wasn't meant as a pun - but I can see how that could work.
  6. meaningless-vessel

And then I realise that I made another pun in that line.

After almost 25 years of being in glasses (ok, some of that I didn't have any due to breakages/no spare pairs/misplaced - but it's that time period) - I would hope I learned that eyesight levels do change though.

For me - it's definitely a case of I need a different strength prescription on the lenses as reading these words is a challenge without squinting. Naturally I'd want to squint in order to be able to read but I'm trying to keep my eyes as relaxed as possible to rest them from the stresses and strains.

Fatigue - I'm somehow managing that a touch better - as explained by almost waking up like clockwork for the last 2/3 mornings so far and not having a nap in the middle of the day (more due to having things to actually do than not). Stresses may play a part but I'm generally able to hold off being a complete mess/meltdown (sometimes I do not know quite how I've managed it).

If there's any other advice that can be given towards what I can do to help relieve the stress on my eyes that the squinting on a relatively constant basis has done, then I'd be grateful to receive it.
  7. meaningless-vessel

Little update...

Have informed my general manager of the issue with my eyesight today - so he's aware of the issue that I am now facing. I just need to see if there's anything that is severely wrong and as it could be any number of things (a little read up on eye problems helps) - and if there's anything that I need to consider doing. Reading is pretty important within my job role - whether it's selling books (there's computer usage), being a steward on the floor checking claims (reading numbers off the pages/electronic touchpads), being cashier (reading party extra prize winning tickets) - diner & bar - (till usage and diner receipts for orders) - machine host (forms to fill in/computer usage on refills) - front of house (updating customer details/entering new details on to the system/printing temporary cards)... and that's just a little scratch of basics for all the main departments. That's without mainstage calling out numbers, and pressing the right buttons in order to check claims are valid.

Bah humbug.

At least work are aware that there are possible complications - should they be confirmed by the ophthalmologist.
  8. flowers

flowers Senior Member

So many eye problems these days can be easily corrected. I am glad you have the apt. I am thinking of you. And hoping you will feel much better about it all after the apt. :hug: my mother had the very simple cataract surgery. She doesnt even need eyeglasses now. The procedure was so very simple. The outcome amazing :hug:
  9. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

I have read this thread three times and I can't see the part where you made an appointment at the opticians to get an eye test? They would be the best qualified people to give you advice on what to do about eye strain etc. It must be very unpleasant trying to function in a blur. Specsavers or Vision Express can usually fit people in the next day. Get on the blower and make an appointment! :)
  10. meaningless-vessel

From the OP.

Today is that Thursday - and I am now booked in with my GP (11 days time) to discuss the possibility of a diabetic check that could be required - and I've got to get me another set of glasses.... Somehow there didn't seem to be too much that concerned the ophthalmologist - but I'm still not comfortable having to rely on squinting for the short term - and if the new prescription lends itself to something very similar I'd have to go back.
  11. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

I assumed it had to be there - which is why I read the thread over and over lol - clearly didn't read it enough times :/ I hope the new glasses rectify the issue for you! :hug:
  12. flowers

flowers Senior Member

Great that you are eliminating all possibilities. I dont know if it helps, but from my expereince with an opthomologist, they can detect signs of manifestations of diabetes in eyes. One time I had a bit of a bleed in one of my eyes. The opthomologist questionefd me re diabeties. I went to the doctor. But I didnt have it. It was just a vessel that popped due to ... well... probably moving something very heavy. you said that your opthomoligist showed no signs of concerns re eyesight and diabeties. So that sounds pretty good. Still I can understand you wanting to check that out. I would also. I buy readers at the drugstore or the dollar store. Have you tried the strongest readers? Where I live, I get them for a dollar.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.