Struggling with Video Game addiction

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Pry, Apr 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pry

Pry Member

I know this may seem kind of odd but....

I'm having a big problem with addiction to a game called "World of Warcraft." I've been playing for around 2 or 3 years now and have played well over 3-4+ THOUSAND hours across all of my characters (not exaggerating, I just checked 2 characters and ended up at around 2500 hours, I have 2 or 3 more at max level, plus alternate characters that have 1-48 hours on them). I stay up all night most nights playing it, and my grades drop fast when I play. I've lost all interest in everything. I've gone to other games, but within months I was back. I've tried quitting cold-turkey but I had extreme withdrawals that I couldn't stand, mostly nonstop shaking and crazy frustration with everything. I've played for about 30 hours nonstop before, which at that point I was nearly vomiting because of the lights flashing, but wanted to play more. I had to go to sleep ASAP so I wouldn't get back on. I love playing this with my virtual friends because they are nice to me when nobody else is. There are no video game clubs nearby that I can go to to get out of the house but still be in the environment.

Has anybody had any experience with this?
  2. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

Yeah... well no cause I've stopped it before it got to any extremes but I do understand some reasons for why this happens to people. My friend used to go sorta bonkers with it, but we helped level it out.

It's a big deal.. I dont mean the time usage I mean the reasons and the effort of your life that you are pouring into it. There are ways of finding interests that branch from it, but inevitably, the reasons why are the most important.
    Can you talk to anyone about this? or write down how you feel? It's about what you want. If you want to play the video games.. look at why. Why did you, what do you find and get from them. Do you use them to distract from aspects of life?... There's a whole conjoured list of things you can ask yourself, but just be gentle. The thing is, it's fun, like anything and should be taken in balance with the rest of life. Going cold turkey isn't going to really work that well. Instead of playing the games, it's more about focusing on the time you are, what you're getting from them, and what you really want in life. Even if you dont know what that is, the beginnings of wanting more than what a game offers is very important. And you should humor that if you feel that.
  3. silent_enigma

silent_enigma Well-Known Member

I'm guessing it's similar to gambling addiction. Perhaps you could look into what they do for treatment of that.
  4. japanlover

japanlover Well-Known Member

My entire life. Only reason I play is because I feel productive, accomplishing something in the game, then I do in real life, make petty wage that doesn't do anything. SBlake is right about using them to distract how shitty real life is.
  5. Pry

Pry Member

This is how I feel. I feel like I have something to show for.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.