Struggling

Sad Elf

Hi

I don't know what to do. I have been with my company for a very long time in various different roles. About 10 months ago I changed position, I was reluctant, but so say good for my development etc.

I have been struggling for a while. Had my performance review today and my boss says whilst he sees me try really hard i am not delivering what I need to and he has concerns about my progress.

My job is my life. I literally panic every time he speaks to me, I struggle to breath, my confidence at record low.

I don't know what to do.

JDot

remember to drink plenty of water
Forum Pro
SF Supporter
a lot of times employers have unrealistic expectations. just know your success at your job doesn't equal your worth as a person.

a lot of times employers have unrealistic expectations
I agree with JDot about this. Some places will just try to squeeze as much as they can from their employees. I don't know if that's the case here, but maybe.

Could you go back to your old position? Do you think that would help?

I hope things can get better soon

BarryW

SF Supporter
Regarding the items that your boss says you need to work on, are any of them items that you feel you can make some progress on? If so, focus on those. Seeing good progress in one or two areas could give your boss faith that you can eventually improve in all the requested areas (and might give you more faith in yourself too).

Sad Elf

Hi,

Thank you all for your replies. Feeling a little calmer so thinking a bit more clearly. I can't go back to my old job so I must figure out how to make the new one work. I think focusing on one or two areas is a great idea, I am going to do this and then when I have bailed those areas tell my boss so he Can see how hard I am trying and hopefully boost my confidence abit.

Thanks
Sadelf

Kiwi2016

🦩 Now a flamingo, not a kiwi 🦩
SF Pro
A new position takes time and concentrating on those areas that your boss noted in your review is an excellent strategy as that will build your self-confidence as your comfort level also will build at the same time...sending you good thoughts for today and hope that you take some time just to relax a bit over the weekend. Sending hugs.

Nick

☆☆Admin-tastic ☆☆
Safety & Support
SF Social Media
SF Artist
SF Supporter
Hi,

Thank you all for your replies. Feeling a little calmer so thinking a bit more clearly. I can't go back to my old job so I must figure out how to make the new one work. I think focusing on one or two areas is a great idea, I am going to do this and then when I have bailed those areas tell my boss so he Can see how hard I am trying and hopefully boost my confidence abit.

Thanks
Sadelf
This sounds like a great plan. It breaks things up and will hopefully make it less overwhelming. Good luck with your efforts.

britishbloke

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hi

I don't know what to do. I have been with my company for a very long time in various different roles. About 10 months ago I changed position, I was reluctant, but so say good for my development etc.

I have been struggling for a while. Had my performance review today and my boss says whilst he sees me try really hard i am not delivering what I need to and he has concerns about my progress.

My job is my life. I literally panic every time he speaks to me, I struggle to breath, my confidence at record low.

I don't know what to do.
Believe you me, if your company wanted to get rid of you, they would find a way. This, is good news for you, that your company, having been with them for a very long time, are willing to nurture your development and see your time there as loyalty. Who would want to lose someone who has given them lots of time and lots of loyalty?

That said, practical advice, would be to meet with your boss for a very brief chat, we're talking 5 minutes out of his day max, tell him you know you've been having some adaptability issues, you want to work on it and resolve it as quickly as possible. Ask him the key areas he would like you to improve in, write this down, work on it. Ask him if every 2 weeks to a month if you two could check in to see how you're progressing towards these goals, this can be done either through email (if your company is that kind) or again just through a very brief chat. This is only what I would do to try and resolve the matter, I hope things work out for you.

Sad Elf

@br
Believe you me, if your company wanted to get rid of you, they would find a way. This, is good news for you, that your company, having been with them for a very long time, are willing to nurture your development and see your time there as loyalty. Who would want to lose someone who has given them lots of time and lots of loyalty?

That said, practical advice, would be to meet with your boss for a very brief chat, we're talking 5 minutes out of his day max, tell him you know you've been having some adaptability issues, you want to work on it and resolve it as quickly as possible. Ask him the key areas he would like you to improve in, write this down, work on it. Ask him if every 2 weeks to a month if you two could check in to see how you're progressing towards these goals, this can be done either through email (if your company is that kind) or again just through a very brief chat. This is only what I would do to try and resolve the matter, I hope things work out for you.
That's excellent advice thankyou. I will put this into action tomorrow.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00