Study finds US violence highest in Southern states

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Prinnctopher's Belt, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

‘U.S. Peace Index’ finds most violence in conservative southern states

Southern states are more violent than any region, according to a recently released crime index created with U.S. government statistics.

The Institute for Economics and Peace said the index was their first U.S. Peace Index, and pulled from data compiled by compiled by the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the FBI, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Louisiana came in dead last, while Maine came in first.

A list of the top ten least-peaceful states follows:

1. Louisiana
    2. Tennessee
    3. Nevada
    4. Florida
    5. Alabama
    6. Texas
    7. Arkansas
    8. Oklahoma
    9. South Carolina
    10. Maryland

Here are the top ten most-peaceful states:

1. Maine
    2. New Hampshire
    3. Vermont
    4. Minnesota
    5. North Dakota
    6. Utah
    7. Massachusetts
    8. Rhode Island
    9. Iowa
    10. Washington

The institute also found that peace has a major impact on the economy. If the U.S. had that same level of peacefulness as Canada, there would be a positive economic effect of over $361 billion, and it would generate 2.7 million jobs.

"Peace translates into dollars and cents, IEP Founder Steve Killelea said in a statement. "We have seen this in the findings of the 2010 Global Peace Index, where we found that a 25 percent reduction in global violence would free up $1.8 trillion USD annually."

"We are seeing the same thing with the USPI. By increasing peace, the United States can ensure that these unrealized billions are available to reduce taxes, stimulate the economy or invest in the nation’s infrastructure, schools, communities, and small businesses," he added.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/04/...ost-violence-in-conservative-southern-states/

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2011
  2. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Re: Studey finds US violence highest in Southern states

Interesting; wonder how it compares to European nations.

3. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Curiously, a majority of those violent states have high rates of religiosity, comparatively speaking, than most of those with lower rates of crime.

4. Lovecraft

Louisiana and Tennessee also happen to be the two states with evolution taught next to ID.

5. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I thought federal courts had forbidden that?!

6. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

And also a large amount of under educated/low income groups...

7. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

And I thought the right to bear arms would make them so peaceful :dry:

8. Lovecraft

9. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

Lol, it just means the idiots have the 'right' to a gun and shoot as many people as they want and then get punished for it. I don't know how giving everyone guns would solve anything, all you'll have is bullets going every which-way.

10. Mikeintx

When there are areas where it takes the police an hour to get to you, it is helpful to be able to protect yourself. Also with the amount of wildlife it is required in some areas.

11. Mystic

Mystic Well-Known Member

So the teaching of scientific fact is responsible for violence is it??

Maybe its the culture of religion which invokes it, as it does everywhere else in the world.

12. Lovecraft

Why do people seem to think owning a gun means they can protect themselves? If you're being threatened by wildlife move closer to a town or city.

13. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Or they could just keep a rifle and live where they want, y'know, freedom and all that.

14. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Of course. I wasn't trying to suggest that religious belief motivates violence, merely that it does little to deter it. This is despite the presumed moral superiority of theists over secularists. I bring this up only because of a recent debate I had in which my opponent claimed faith was a good guarantor of moral and ethical conduct.

What's interesting is another correlation: that these states often take far harsher stances against prisoners than most others. When you focus on punishment over rehabilitation, you fail to treat the cause of crime.

15. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

You missed his point entirely. Evolution is taught everyone in the US. ID - intelligent design - is taught along with it in those states. He worded it oddly.

But I seriously doubt it's anything to do with religion, personally. I suspect poverty and religion correlate because a shitty life looks for a better reality wherever it can find it. And poverty leads to violence for sure - and apparently violence leads to poverty. Quite the vicious cycle. :(

Fun fact: owning a gun increases your chance of being shot. If you're being robbed (and you probably aren't), give up the money. It's not worth your life. They won't shoot you if you give them the money, but they will shoot you if you pull a gun.

I can't figure out for the life of me why a convenience store clerk would pull a gun on a robber. Even if you don't get killed for $8/hour, if you successfully shoot the robber it's even more trouble for you because if you overdo it you're on trial for murder. >_<

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2011
  16. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Ok this is the story how it was relayed to me. It was huricane season in Texas. They had just had a major one and several people from an apartment complex stayed to ride it out rather than evacuate. In the morning, daylight, some idiot decides to try and break into one of the apartments. All those that stayed behind grabbed their guns and corner the would be thief. The police knew who the guilty party was as he was the only one without a gun. Apparently a true story. Yeeee Haw (shoots gun aimlessly into the air).

17. Mikeintx

There are plenty of examples of people of faith doing horrible things. I don't think anything guarantees moral or ethical conduct. Seems like an easy argument to win.

Yes, these states have a harsher stance against crime, but when you have someone raised in horribly abusive low-income enviroments, I do not think rehabilitation is all that possible in a lot of cases. Then again sending someone to prison seems a lot like sending someone to school to become a better criminal. Put a bunch of society's worst together seems like a recipe for disaster.

18. Mikeintx

This is assuming the criminals are only going to steal what they can and leave. Sometimes they kill the person anyways.

19. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

They'd have to be terribly stupid and reckless. It doesn't take an IQ of 80 to realise that the cops will hunt you down for killing someone but probably don't care a whole lot about a robbery.

It does happen, I realise, but the statistical likelihood is much smaller than the risks of owning a gun. Not to mention, if someone's going to rob you and kill you they won't do it in that order.

Another situation where guns provide problems: angry people, ordinarily not criminals, shooting other ordinary people when angry. I always make this argument, and it's always pointed out that there are other weapons available, but frankly it's a lot harder to kill someone with a knife than a gun, both physically and mentally.

20. Lovecraft

Statistically rare.

My real point, though, is that a firearm needs to be retrieved, loaded, aimed and fired. (If you keep it loaded statistically you're even more likely to end up shooting someone, or yourself, by accident then shooting a threat.) Any half-decent martial art simply needs you to throw you punch/kick/elbow/swipe or whatever and is still there for you when you're taken by surprise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.