stuff people

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Oceans, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Oceans

Oceans Well-Known Member

I hate people. I am so annoyed and angry at people who do not understand nor make an attempt to understand where I am coming from. I went to the doctor's as suggested by members here and she was far from sympathetic. I don't know how people tolerate seeing the health professionals. I hate them all. This is my venting. I am not going to ever see anyone anymore. All they do is judge and do not understand anything from my perspective. I was nervous and would not have gone if it wasn't for this forum. Stuff everyone. Be left alone and die.

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

o_O

What exactly happened oceans?!

IMO she should have been sympathetic towards your problems. Was it a G.P or a psychiatrist you went to see? I'd recommend seeing a psychiatrist and a therapist, they are far more understanding and sympathetic towards mental health issues.
    I hope that you don't leave one bad appoinment prevent you from seeking further help.
    Good luck :hug:

3. Oceans

Oceans Well-Known Member

Thanks Lynn for acknowledging I am here.

I feel alone and to be treated the way I did, I feel that no one really cares.

I need to recoup and try and gather up some strength. I feel let down by those who's occupation is to help.

4. SweetSurrender

SweetSurrender Well-Known Member

Oceans, i totally understand how you feel. This has happened to me on countless occasions. It is horrific to be left feeling totally ridiculed and abandoned by health professionals. I've said in posts before that they are not to be counted on entirely, i have a view of seeing them as a means to an end - e.g to get the medicine i need etc. I don't believe in thinking of them as sympathetic, helpful and willing to listen, they're not. You have to be in the right mind-set to tackle these health professionals and when you are depressed (which you may be, i'm not sure what mental health problem you feel you are suffering from - i'm choosing depression as that is what the majority of ppl on here are suffering from), you cannot be doing that battle. I totally advocate getting a support network around you. I did the whole battle with drs etc, until i got so sick i couldn't do it and i had to rely on my family to make appts for me, take me to appts, even sit in on appts with me because i couldn't speak. When will drs realise that depression is disabling?!! My GP practise has a triage service where drs ring patients back to see if they need an appt or not, this is so not helpful for me as i cannot speak on the phone unless i've got it into my mind to do so. Let alone speak to some random dr that doesn't know me. I can't with the paranoia. I don't go to any health professionals now (except therapist) because they've not helped, and i can't ring up to make an appt anyway. It is easier for me to push myself through work than to make an appt with the GP to get a sick note (yeh i know that is totally bizarre but that is my crap).

Anyway totally ranted on, but what i just wanted to say that i feel for you. When i was 18yrs and went to my GP for the first time feeling i was suffering from depression she laughed in my face and told me when she was my age she had social difficulties too. I didn't have social problems, i'm not shy, but i felt as though i was looking at the world through a bubble. That isn't the same thing, if she had listened she would have heard that.

Don't give up on yourself, you are worth being listened to, you know how you feel and you know if it is right or not. Don't let some silly dr tell you what to do, they've only studied for 5yrs, they don't know everything! But don't rely on them giving you 'the answer' either, they're not going to be able to. I'm not saying don't listen to your dr at all, but it is totally okay to question their diagnosis and judgement. In fact, as patients, it is our right!

Sorry again to totally go off on one. It really hurts to see this happen over and over again to people. And it brings back a lot of bad memories. Sorry.

take care of yourself.

5. Oceans

Oceans Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing your story with me SweetSurrender.

Don't be sorry for going off, by doing so I feel you understand.

I needed to hear what you wrote about health professionals, support and knowing how we feel.

Just because the health professionals have a degree they seem to think they know all the answers to depression, how we feel and what we need to do and if we don't do what is expected we are to blame. Then again if we did what was prescribed and we don't improve it is still our fault because we didn't try hard enough.

I seem to forget that having a degree does not mean they have the answers. I feel hurt when they present and act as if they do have the answers.

I feel less alone and there is at least one person who is on my side and gets it which I rarely experience.

I hope you are doing okay.