Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Porcelain, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Porcelain

Porcelain Well-Known Member

I went to a fatal RTA last night. My first one. I keep seeing his face when I close my eyes. He was no more than 50 years old. That's still pretty young. He was the passenger.....the driver was his daughters boyfriend. They weren't wearing seatbelts, both were ejected from the vehicle. He had bad facial and head injuries. The boyfriend was drunk apparantly. Why do people do that? It causes so much pain. It was on a straight road. People think it's okay to do it but it's not. It's really not. Horrible things happen and that guy has now killed his girlfriends dad and seriously injured himself. It took us 20 minutes to get there. All I keep thinking is what if we got there sooner? What if we were nearer?
  2. Forgotten_Man

Forgotten_Man Well-Known Member

Wow I am sorry. But you did what you could. People are just morons, they think they are cool because they drive drunk all the way home and are just fine. But then something like this happens. It is a wake up call for everyone.

I am sorry you could not get there in time. I could not see the accident for myself but sometimes there is nothing you can do. I know that if you are an EMT the first thing they tell you is 'You are not here to save peoples lives you only extend them'.

I do not know what consolation this is to you really I do not. I myself have never been at a fatal accident. And I know that it does not help to hear "You win some you lose some". So spread the message, that drinking and driving is bad. Become a designated driver or start a program. My town where I go to college has a free taxi service. They call it safe ride, basically it is a service to discourage people from diving drunk.

I do not know what else to say really. I want to be of some help. I guess the only thing you can put your heart at ease with is the fact that the boyfriend will go to jail for what he did. Though it is incredibly unfair, he gets 3 years max I think.

I will leave you with this. If you only dwell on "What Ifs" you will destory yourself. It is ok to feel greif but try and move on, maybe next time you will save someone. Maybe next time it will be worse. All you can do is strengthen you heart. I wish I could be there to physically listen to you and give you comfort but I cannot. Feel free to PM me whenever you like I will always listen.
  3. BrokenPieces

BrokenPieces Well-Known Member

hey hun...

i know its a tough job you have, and you get to see more than some of us do...

But its life, some things we dont understand, and some we do... why others do things without thinking is hard, because we cant control them, and you know the rest of the story...

but i hope your okay... and i am here if you need to talk farther...

Love BP