Stunted growth & childhood stress

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by elvinchild, Aug 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elvinchild

elvinchild Well-Known Member

Wasn't sure where to put this thread.. Anyway..

I was reading an article on childhood anxiety and depression, trying to figure out my past, and it made a comment that led me to look up some studies on the relationship between stunted growth and childhood stress. I'm several inches shorter than I was supposed to be, according to the doctor, and until now I've never found a reason.

You've probably heard how a difficult/abusive childhood can manifest as physical problems such as frequent illness, susceptibility to disease, physical pain, increased blemishes, weight change, recurring infections, etc. I can certainly relate to the frequent illness and physical pain.

But it might be news to you that there is a connection between height and childhood stress. In particular, girls who were subject to a lot of anxiety between ages 11 and 20 tended to be about 2 inches shorter than their peers that had no emotional problems.

I indeed fit the bill, and then some.

In my attempt to further validate this research, I was curious if any of you are shorter than average height or what you might have expected to be? Are there a whole bunch of shorties on this site? :p lol!

Oooo edit... I meant to put in the link to one of the studies in case you were interested.
  2. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Very interesting!! I am just the opposite,.. I was always tall for my age.. I also suffered from seveere pain in my back.. Is it possible that the two have something in common??
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.