Stupid questions

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Tashok, Dec 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tashok

Tashok Member

Apparently there's a list of questions I'm supposed to answer that are "important" for my would-be rescuer to know. Well, most of them are really effing stupid.

• Are you thinking about suicide? No, genius, I'm using the alternate meaning of the statement "I feel suicidal" - you know, the one that means "I want ice cream for breakfast".
    • Are you thinking about dying? Well, yes, that would be the end goal, now wouldn't it?
    • Are you thinking about hurting yourself? I'd prefer to do it painlessly but beggars can't be choosers.
    • Have you thought about how you would do it? I have a goddamn doctorate in veterinary medicine. I'm not exactly a stranger to euthanasia methods, now am I?
    • Do you know when you would do it? Nope. Wouldn't tell you if I did.
    • Do you have the means to do it? Not by my preferred methods, why do you think I'm still here?
    • How are you coping with what's been happening in your life? Oh, my coping mechanisms are amazing! I'm just so good at handling the shitshow that is my life! POORLY, you moron, I'm coping very fucking poorly.
    • Do you ever feel like just giving up? Just until my next incarnation. You know what? I'm buying you a goddamn dictionary with the word "suicide" highlighted. I think "giving up" is listed as a synonym.

Sorry... I'm depressed, suicidal, and apparently incredibly irritable right now; the first two are normal for me but the last one isn't, which makes me even more annoyed. I'm irritated by my own freaking irritability, how screwed up is that? I wanted to vent but this is not exactly something I want to put up on Facebook, or I destroy the illusion that everything is okay, so I guess you guys get to deal with it instead. Wheee. (I'm not even sure this is the right forum but I suppose if it isn't someone will just delete it.)
  2. the black raven

the black raven Well-Known Member

When it is looks stupid, some people who feel so depressed can't think right, and they need immadiate attention. By asking these question, they "hope" to give enough attention to the one they try to help. And you and me both know that when we feel so low, logic doesn't work in our brain. I mean, yes it does work, but I don't know how to explain it to words. I would feel better if someone ask me about what I feel and trying to understand me, even if those questions are stupid, because I will get the "attention" I needed. But they won't know unless they ask, again, you can't be helped if you refuse to get help, and the only way for them to know you is by asking you.
  3. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

sorry you're feeling like that- i do agree, some of them are a bit stupid.. but some of the others, they are only their to help you

knowing if you have the means, for instance, can tell them if you're in danger this second
  4. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

some are a bit repetitive for sure, but I guess it's to get you talking and to figure out how to help you. Anyone will answer differently and sometimes they give more information than others...

but then again I would get pretty irritated too at those questions so, I'm no one to talk. I guess it's pretty mechanical feel to it...but it feels as though they don't know much about depression, suicide and so they seem to just try to hit the mark in the dark.

You can always tell them how you feel about those questions, perhaps that could help them have better ones or something...

hang in there and vent all that you have to...we're here to listen :)
  5. mpang123

mpang123 Well-Known Member

I feel irritable when I call the crisis line and they ask such stupid questions with stupid answers. They don't want to be bothered unless you admit you have a definite plan to kill yourself or someone else. Of course, if you tell them you've just done it, they will definitely send out EMS to your rescue. But I don't want that! I just want to be talked through the difficult moment and not be threatened to be put in the hospital. They say they're too busy to hear me out so they say to try some coping skills and they'll call back in 30 minutes to check on you. If you tell them that it's not working, or don't answer the phone, they'll probably send out someone. It's great to hear some people benefit from the crisis line but it has always been my last support because I know they're too busy to care about me.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.