STUPID STUPID STUPID- Why do I feel so stupid????

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Woodsmoke, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woodsmoke

Woodsmoke Well-Known Member

Can't even do aerobics with an exercise dvd in the privacy of my own room with door closed and curtains shut.

I fear that people can see me even through the curtains.

I have trouble remembering what I have to do- the exercises and moves etc.

I feel so STUPID, FOOLISH AND DISGUSTING doing some of the movements. My brain tells me arm waving is utterly useless and pathetic rubbish.

Just like me.

I am badly overweight. I've lost some but my doctor and I know there's lots more to be done.

I try to mix up my own routines using guides with my exercise equipment and Youtube videos, but... it's not guaranteed to do what I need. The DVDs can do that for me.

But as soon as I go to start... I sink and crawl away, unable to try. Happens with lots of things in life. But why does this happen???

2. Datura

Datura Well-Known Member

Maybe you subconsciously believe that you do not deserve to be healthy by doing something that would benefit your own well being.

3. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

The only indoor exercise I can tolerate without being bored is something where I can perform the exercise while zoning out to meditation or watching TV. I have a cheap but functional elliptical machine- it doesn't take any mental work but it works the whole body very well. The more consistently you exercise, the more your body develops to be far more efficient in keeping off excess weight.

Try to not listen to your negative inner dialogue. We all have it (I have OCD so I have it constantly) but most of it is absolutely not true.

4. snowlvr

snowlvr New Member

Hi there,
    I totally understand what you're saying, years ago I was terribly overweight...don't even want to say how much I weighed on here! This is one area I feel so strongly about I guess, I remember trying to get through an exercise tape in front of the TV and not even being able to hold my arms up above my head for long as they hurt so badly, I thought I'm never ever going to be able to do this but I kept at it and got stronger and stronger, now I run, I hike all the time with my dog, today we ran/hiked for 3 hours on trails near my house, it literally saves me...keep going, keep pushing through because you will be able to do it and you will get stronger and stronger, faster and faster! do it for you.

You're not stupid at all, hey you are trying, I'm proud of you already! hugs....

5. johnnysays

johnnysays Well-Known Member

You need support. People you trust and value. There're many things we can't do alone. Otherwise, I don't see you coming out. Sometimes when we're in the darkness there's no way out unless someone comes in with a flash light.

6. Ravenwing

Ravenwing Well-Known Member

Could you fit an exercise bike in your room? Just a thought. You might feel less awkward about just peddling. Then once you get used to that, you could try the DVD again. :hug:

7. Woodsmoke

Woodsmoke Well-Known Member

My room is a shoe box :( plus I'm not sure my floorboards could take it.

I am trying to follow up on this advice. I'm guessing getting rid of the inner self-bully comes first, though...

8. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Don't call yourself stupid that is constantly bringing your self-esteem or what little you have left. Be more patient with yourself sometimes it takes time

9. LipsOfDeceit

LipsOfDeceit Well-Known Member

Have faith and confidence in yourself. It's good that you're trying, as that is always the first step to achieving what you want. Encourage yourself with motivational quotes if that helps and tell yourself you can conquer anything! Good luck, you can do it!

10. Ah! You're so brave. I am utterly incapable of keeping up with more than one or two steps to ANY exercise video (WHERE DO THEY FIND THOSE INSTRUCTORS ARE THEY ROBOTS???) and can't imagine actually working out to one.

I agree with all those above who said that losing weight should come second to losing your inner meanie. You wrote that you've lost some already--congratulations! The next time that bully voice goes off remind it of that, hm? You asked why you lose motivation and give up... well, who wouldn't if there was someone constantly telling them they were stupid and foolish and disgusting? You've seen sports teams, right? They have cheerleaders, not boo-leaders.

Also, don't be shy about looking for a form of exercise you do like. I am a disaster at exercise videos; I like moving slowly and taking my time, and really experiencing the world. I like long walks and quiet, dreamy bike rides. Neither are super aerobic, but they're better than nothing, and they do get me moving. Maybe you could look for something like that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.