stupid, stupid,stupid!!

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Mel2809, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Mel2809

Mel2809 Active Member

So what do you do when your five year old child disrespects you, walks all over you and manipulates you? I find myself getting so angry and frustrated with him because he treats me like that but then I also find myself so angry and frustrated with myself because I let it happen. I don't know what to do to get him to stop this behavior. I find myself wanting to smack him across the face when he tells me to stop because I'm saying something he doesn't want to hear...or covering his ears because I am saying something he doesn't want to hear and am making him upset. Which the coveting of the ears wouldn't have been such big deal if I wasn't dealung with the constant mood changes and irratability and the "stooopp". I admit that I struggle with being happy to have him visit because I can't deal with it. When I have him being irratable all the time and me struggling with my mental health issues on an almost daily basis I find myself questioning how I could have been so stupid to agree to have him 5 days in a row twice a month and twice in a row the other weeks. I know I'm a bad mother...but I hate feeling the guilt on top of it all.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

YOu need to reach out for some support to teach you how to take care of your son. Your child looks for you for affection and for direction YOU need to set boundaries ok If he is not listening then time out for him ok If you were not taught by your parents good parenting skills then you need to ask for help with your son.
    A child only mimicks what is said to them he is very young and it is now you have to teach you not him you how to set boundaries and teach him how to be respectful.
    Is your mental health worker able to set y ou up with a parenting course that will help you If you feel you will harm your child then you need to walk away or call someone another family member to come and help you

You are not a bad parent you are just needing help and guidance
  3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi hun, you are not a bad mother, many kids this age can behave like this, going through a phase, or copying what their friends are doing or even what they see on TV. I do not think you should smack him no matter how bad he gets instead treat him that people like to treated as they treat others. Give him a ''time out'' or a bold corner where he must sit for a certain length of time to reflect on what he's done wrong. Or take away some of his treats unless he starts behaving better. There is so many different things you can try although I can understand how frustrating this must be. Also..have you asked your son if there is anyone at him in school, maybe other kids making fun of him to make him act out in this manner? If all else fails, talk to his teacher and see what he/she suggests! :) You are not a bad mother!
  4. Mel2809

Mel2809 Active Member

I want you guys to rest at ease...I don't hit my son!! Its only a feeling I have albeit a strong one at times but I usually just take a breath and remind myself what the goal is. I do use timeouts when need be but I still don't know how to get him to respect me or even listen. One of the biggest challenges that I have is giving him his insulin after meals and before bed. He has been a type 1 diabetic for one and a half years now so he knows what has to happen and when. But he insist on playing around. This was the case at daycare today. We do it in the bathroom for privacy. So I get it all ready and tell him to come to me. He starts spinning in circles and tells to tell him when to stop. He screws around like this for at least five minutes. But we have a ten minute window from the time he starts eating to get his insulin in him...and he knows this. So today I put my foot down, I counted to three and when he didn't follow what I asked him I pulled him in by me. But then what he does is fight and push my hand away and pull his body away so I still can't do his insulin.I'm at a fricken loss for what to do!! He doesn't get treats, he doesn't play video games, doesn't play on the computer, doesn't even really watch TV. So I don't really know what else to take away that would make an impact.This is just one insinstance of what I deal with. And of course I don't really have any friends much less ones with kids his age or older. I am figuring this out all on my own and this is by no means helping with my stress level which exasterbates all of my mental health issues and physical challenges. This is the reasoning I give myself for why he would be better off without me...I'm certainly not doing him any good!!