• Apologies for the issue with a bizarre redirect on the site earlier today. There was a large server update and an error in an IP address had the traffic routing wrongly. No hacking or anything nefarious and nothing to worry about. Sorry for any stress/anxiety caused. Very best wishes - SF Admin

Success at LAST?

First off, I'd like to apologize if my constant conjecturing has lead anyone
down any blind alleys. I think this is one of the problems from this condition
that affects those of here.

But my latest conjecture could at least supply some relief to our problem.

I've always wondered why certain foods make me feel better, and I think I
have a good idea why now. (this includes some junk foods too)

Some foods have something a certain type of sugar in them, that's either
naturally in them, or added to them.

And this is what I think is leading to me feeling better.

And, without further ado, here it is;

https://foodsanddiseases.com/barley-malt-properties-and-health-benefits-medicinal-uses/

https://naturalpedia.com/malt-extract-sources-health-risks.html

Now, what makes maltose something that could relieve our troubled soul?
And mind, emotions, body too. (I'll be quoting website info to answer)

1) Malt extracts are popularly used as dietary supplements to enhance nutrition in children and
adults through the supply of essential amino acids, vitamins, and minerals.

Lack of key nutrients can really mess you up. Don't get enough of certain B vitamins and you'll
be so screwed up you may wish you were dead. (no pun intended)

" Malt contains vitamins such as vitamin B1, vitamin B2, vitamin B3, and vitamin B6 in significant
quantities " See what a deficiency in just those 4 B vitamins can cause.

The insomnia, the lack of energy, the distorted thinking and emotions, and lots of other problems,
it's no wonder you'll start feeling like you've had enough and want it to be over.

2) Malt extract contains proteins in significant amounts but deficient in an essential amino acid known as lysine.

I've always felt that one contributing factor in our condition is an amino acid imbalance. I used to deal with
cold sores in my late teens and early twenties, and have not had any in over 35 years! Having an abundance
of Lysine, would explain this. (everything is best in balance, amino acids included)

3) Malt extract (and barley) " prevents intestinal disorders ".

The lack of digestive function, I think, is a key factor in our condition. The digestive tract makes a lot of
nutrients we need, and is essentially a second brain, so when it goes awry, it's gonna cause problems.

" Barley’s fiber (the malt has it too) increases microbiota, through their fermentation processes,
produce a fatty-acid known as butyric acid. This acid acts as a major energy source for cells of the intestine. "

" Malt extract is good for the digestive system. Beneficial bacteria in the colon can also use malt extract to
properly digest food. It addresses gastrointestinal issues such as chronic constipation, diverticulosis, hiatus hernia,
and irritable bowel syndrome. "

I know farts are funny but they're also proof that the intestinal bacteria are getting what they need with gas as a
byproduct. A little gas a day keeps the doctor away, in more ways than one. :)

Anyways, I could probably go on conjecturing, but in case this is just another example of overthinking things,
an obvious symptom of our condition, I'll leave it at that.

Besides, the grocery stores are opening soon and I'm eager to go get some malt to consume and see if it's all
I'm hoping it is, in helping me get more balanced and less anxious.

P.S. I've noticed that many Black people can be quite jovial. And I'm convinced it has to do with their eating of
(good for the?) soul food. Malted beer is one example and I'm sure there are many others. (Barely too?)

Thanks to this, I would be willing to bet that their well functioning digestive tract, from their diet, is a big reason
why that is.

SillyOldBear

SF grey-haired bear 🐻
Staff Alumni
I know farts are funny but they're also proof that the intestinal bacteria are getting what they need with gas as a
byproduct. A little gas a day keeps the doctor away, in more ways than one. :)
Will have to check out malt next time I go to store. I gather it comes as a supplement or additive you can put in food.

You also might want to check out something called Food Maps. Is supposed to help IBS, but is very complicated.

By the way, I am farting like crazy today, so my colon must be ecstatic.

Will have to check out malt next time I go to store. I gather it comes as a supplement or additive you can put in food.
Yes, good catch.

I forgot to mention that.

The best way to try it is as a supplement since the additive that you get at a grocery store,
or from a processed food, will have all kinds of other things.

https://www.amazon.com/maltose-powder/s?k=maltose+powder

Btw, it's also in some foods like bagels and bread, not just highly processed ones.

https://apnews.com/article/7f5611bcba48411fa0be522507c0a7db

" While the origin of malt can be traced back to early Egyptians, the full value of this healthy, “forgotten ingredient” has been overlooked and underappreciated.

As Americans strive to satisfy their appetite for the next nutritional trend, malt is a resounding reminder that sometimes our ancestors truly do know best.

Malt is nostalgically remembered as a cornerstone of American culture, conjuring fond memories of vintage “malt shops” or a delicious glass of Ovaltine™ malted milk. But, what exactly is malt?

Malt is basically sprouted barley. By sprouting the barley, the grain’s enzymes are unlocked with only water and heat in an ancient, natural process that releases the whole grain’s nutritional power. Malt can be further processed to produce liquid or powder sweeteners called malt extracts that are used in beverages (beer, malted shakes, energy drinks), baked goods (cakes, pretzels, breads), cereals and snacks (protein bars, yogurts, confections), and other foods.

" Malt Extract’s Natural Health Benefits

* Athletic Recovery: Today, malt extract is drawing renewed attention as a naturally-functional ingredient that packs a host of powerful intrinsic health benefits - one reason that, among other uses, athletes are increasingly relying on malt extract-based beverages to replenish and recover.

* Boosts Happiness: Malt extract might actually make you happy! Malt extract contains Hordenine, a plant-based, naturally occurring compound that has been found in scientific studies to lift your spirits. Hordenine was shown to activate the dopamine D2 receptor, the brain’s reward center, which causes this “feel-good” effect. It has also been reported to sharpen mental focus and heighten energy levels.

* Sweetener with Substance: Malt extract is not an empty sugar. When used as a sweetener, malt extract is a functional ingredient that serves as a source of antioxidants, essential amino acids, vitamins and minerals, and is made with whole grains. As an added benefit, malt extract has a significantly lower glycemic index than table sugar.

* Supports Digestive Health: Malt extract can be good for your gut. Malt extract is a rich source of soluble fiber, which helps improve digestion by optimizing good bacteria and minimizing bad bacteria. Studies show malt extract facilitates the growth of probiotic cultures that can enhance digestive health by supporting the good bacteria that lines the gut. This can help prevent illness and promote essential nutrient absorption, enhancing overall health. "

I would definitely look to get it in something that's as little processed as you can.
(just to see if it helps)

AND, there is the possibility that Barley, and other low-Lysine foods, may be helping to balance
things out, so that may be worth trying too.

You also might want to check out something called Food Maps. Is supposed to help IBS, but is very complicated.

By the way, I am farting like crazy today, so my colon must be ecstatic.
If there's one thing I've learned it's that whatever is helping to restore balance it does it fairly
quickly, I usually have a Histamine release that causes my nose to run and goosebumps when
I get chilled, like there's too much Histamine with an inability to release it.

As for the farting, I think it's an indication that you're still digesting, though maybe not as well
as you should.

IF you don't and stop having bowel movements for more than a few days, you know things have
gotten way out of balance. So gas is a good indicator that you're still in the game, so to speak.

I should also mention that malt can be made from other things besides Barley,
like Whey which I've found to be something I need to avoid, possibly from it's
high Lysine content causing some kind of imbalance. (of amino acids or by
over-alkalizing since Lysine is a Basic amino acid)

So I'd stick to Barley Malt, and try plain Barley as well, to see which might work
for you.

There are so many things that need to be in balance to function well. It's not
easy trying to figure out what's leading to an imbalance, but should be well
worth the effort if it eventually restores that balance.

I think it's time for me to move on.

I wanted to say that Eden makes a Barley Malt syrup
that Whole Foods sells and I would suggest it's worth
trying in your diet. Plain Barley too.

And, NOT taking things too seriously can be comforting
IF you can embrace it.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$190.00
Goal
$255.00