Suck it up?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Socialman, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Socialman

Socialman Well-Known Member

I got in a disagreement with a forum moderator in a previous website. I pointed out to another member that using phrases like "suck it up" can make people with depression worse when they cannot simply "suck it up." The forum moderator said I was out of bounds for get this "telling her what to do," and that she was doing what she thought was best as a forum moderator because most people "are just teens with intense emotions and she does not want to get caught up in playing their little games." I pointed out that was not a good assumption to make in a case of life and death over the internet, and she closed the thread under the grounds that "you seem to think you are above/superior to me."

2. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Well either she was "having a bad day" or has an inferiority complex and sees all challenges as a threat to undermine her authority.:dry:
    Either that or she has the sensitivity of a leather insole! :laugh:

3. ConfusedSilence

ConfusedSilence Well-Known Member

I would've said the same thing that you said. :)

4. spiritxfade

spiritxfade Well-Known Member

I would've done the same, too. I'm a teen. I have intense emotions. But not all of them are normal teen angst. It's wrong to just sweep a huge group of people under the rug like that. In some cases, yes, that's all that one can do, but adolescent depression is a problem and telling someone who is truly depressed to suck it up and get on with life is basically telling that person that you don't care about them. And it does make it worse.

I think you did the right thing by explaining that concept to that poster, and maybe your tone just didn't come off right over the internet? (I'm trying to give the moderator the benefit of the doubt here....but he/she might've just been peeved)

5. Socialman

Socialman Well-Known Member

This wasn't just someone with depression actually. The person was contemplating suicide over a lost love.

6. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

So people that contemplate suicide are supposed to just suck it up?

I would leave this site over that heavy-handedness. Who does the forum moderator think they are?

7. SnowFallenAngel

SnowFallenAngel Well-Known Member

Some people have to wear an 'admin' hat because if not, they would be a nothingness in this so called life!

Too many people in this world doing things that they shouldn't because of lack of compassion!

How can we change the world? I would be willing to do all I can:cool:

Snow

8. SAVE_ME

SAVE_ME Well-Known Member

If ever there was a time to use this emoticon, it's now :admin:

That's why I hate going on most forums these days, because the admins end up turning into dictators and act all high and mighty, lording it over everyone else. If anyone should step up and challenge them then they are devoured by the admin and all the sheep who follow them. Doesn't matter if it's a logical point to make. All the brown-nosers will gladly step in and defend their admin and restore his/her crumbling ego.

I would just leave. You tried to reason with this person fairly and they bit your head off for it. Doesn't sound like a very supportive place to be honest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.