Suffer from eating disorder and feeling numb

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by lnu07vca, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lnu07vca

lnu07vca New Member

This is the first time I have been on this site so I'm not really sure how it works.

Basically I've suffered and still currently suffer from bulimia and compulsive over eating disorder. When I get stressed or I have too much work it feels like the only way I can cope is with controlling food.

I haven't had thoughts about killing myself for a while but they've come back. I'm on my teacher training course, the work load is huge and I can't cope. I'm also on venlafaxine but I need some coping strategies.

Anyone help please.

2. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

Hi there Inu, and welcome to SF :) I understand the compulsive over-eating for sure as I had this problem earlier on in life (and before the word bilumia was known about). I do know that there are ways to overcome these things, the main issue being our thinking concerning our confidence.

Broadly speaking, the plan is to find a different way to cope with the feelings of being overwhelmed, other than to try to control food (which isn't working and making food 'the enemy')........ In order to come to think of food as your friend, something new to try would be to look at the possibility that your relationship with it CAN in fact, become changed. The Chinese use food as their medicine as well as energy and nutrition - how does the idea of it being your medicine sound to you? It might just be the key to solve the problem for you.

It's a big subject to try to cover in a box here - suggest googling Traditional Chinese Medicine and then work out a new eating plan from there. In this way, you will still be able to control your food, but have the assurance (and from there, the confidence) that it is working in your favour instead of against you. Hope this helps :)

3. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

Hi Inu - welcome to SF :hug:

I am sorry you feel so overwhelmed at the moment. I know how hard training to teach is - not just the work but the emotional load as well. You don't say whether you are seeing a doctor or not, but if not I would suggest that is the first step. You need coping strategies and techniques that do not revolve around food and the best place to get/learn those strategies is from a professional.

I will not pretend to know a thing about eating disorders, but I know something about being overwhelmed and I know how scary it can be when it feels like you are going to collapse under the load - you are not alone. Please feel free to PM me any time you want to talk. What I will suggest is - make sure you stop sometimes. Tempting as it is to work harder, longer, to try to get everything done, you have to take some time for yourself as well. Set a limit on work at home - a time when you will stop, relax, and do something for you (something not involving food). Try giving yourself a relaxation break before you eat, so you are not associating food with an anxious 'work' panic.

Keep talking to us - lots and lots of support here and plenty of people with experience of coping techniques (and eating disorders) but please do see a doctor as well.

Stay safe :hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.