Sugar is as addictive as cocaine, and causes obesity, diabetes, and cancer

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Mordeci, Apr 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

Dr. Robert Lustig thinks America needs to go to rehab for sugar addiction.

According to brain scans, sugar is as addictive as cocaine, the California-based endocrinologist told CBS News’ “60 Minutes.”

It causes a euphoric effect that triggers dopamine, the chemical that controls pleasure in the brain.

The average America eats a third of a pound of sugar every day — 130 pounds a year.

Lustig says his research proves that the sweet stuff causes heart disease and cancer, as well as Type 2 diabetes and obesity.

And its not just the added sweeteners we add to our foods, like table sugar, or the desserts we eat.

Sugar is everywhere in foods where we least suspect it, including breads, yogurt, peanut butter and sauces.

Sugar consumption is down 40% since the 1970s but high fructose corn syrup consumption is way up.

Kimber Stanhope, a nutrional biologist at the University of California Davis, believes that a calorie isn’t just a calorie and that overconsumption of high-fructose corn syrup increases risk for heart attack and stroke.

According to her research, when a person consumes too much sugary food and drink, the liver begins to convert some of that fructose to fat. This fat can lead to an increase in dangerous LDL cholesterol that can form plaque in the arteries.

Too much sugar is also linked to many kinds of cancers, including breast and colon cancer.

Some tumors have insulin receptors which feed on glucose, according to Lewis Cantley, a Harvard professor and the head of the Beth Israel Deaconess Cancer Center.

There is some irony in America’s rising sugar intake. Since the 1970s, we’ve been told that too much fat is unhealthy. Food manufacturers responded but the results have backfired on our health.

“Take the fat out of food, it tastes like cardboard,” said Lustig. “And the food industry knew that. So they replaced it with sugar.”

CBS News talked with Jim Simon of the Sugar Association, who voiced doubts as whether sugar is root of all dietary evil.

“To say that the American consuming public is going to completely omit, eliminate, sweeteners out of their diet I don't think gets us there,” he said.

All the experts agreed that quitting sugary drinks and added sugar to foods is a good place to start.

Lustig has co-authored a report with the American Heart Association recommending men should consume no more than 150 calories of added sugars a day. And women, just 100 calories.

Read more:
  2. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

Oh please...
  3. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

This has got to be an April Fool's joke. Only 1 day later.
  4. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

5. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I know that my sugar intake is one of many reasons I'm unhealthy. Guess it's time to really stick to a new diet.
  6. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Sugar in excess, but mostly high fructose corn syrup, causes obesity and other disease. So what's new?
  7. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

Google 'Hungry for Change' - it's saying the same thing. There was a free promo of the documentary a couple of days ago - I posted the link here, cos I watched the whole thing and thought - this could save the world - or at least America, from most things, once ppl wake up to how good it feels to medicate themselves with proper food.

I know that sounds 'holier than thou' and bland and uninteresting and horrid - but that's because sugary comfort food has become a way of life and taken for granted. But, honestly, giving your body the correct type of fuel - the nutrients it is craving to function optimally, is really just common sense.
  8. BrinkOfExistence

BrinkOfExistence Well-Known Member

I think i maybe addicted to sugar i can't go a day without something sugary and the cravings are almost unbearable, in fact just today i borrowed a couple of quid off my mum just so i could buy some sweets and fizzy drinks, it's sounds silly being 23 and borrowing money for sweets can't help it though. I wouldn't say it's causing me any problems not anything as bad as a cocaine addiction would, but if i'm honest i wouldn't give it up it's the only constant pleasure i've had throughout my life, it kinda boost my mood when i'm feeling low.
  9. Growing Pains

Growing Pains Well-Known Member

I thought everyone knew sugar was in breads, peanut butter, and yogurt. Surely you'd have to be living under a rock not to. Now, sauces, that is a place you'd least expect it to be - but it's definitely there. In fact, if you look at the ingredients list of many (if not most) pre-made boxed foods, canned foods, frozen foods, and yes, even pre made sauces chances are you will see some sugary ingredient in the list. High fructose corn syrup being the biggest offender. Since I've started cooking, I've been more careful about reading ingredients. That kind of junk (pun intended) is in foods that you would not expect it to be in. Foods that definitely don't need it. Which has made me wonder why. I do not doubt it has something to do with addiction. That is why some pet foods use high fructose corn syrup. Corn syrup definitely isn't good for dogs. Why would it be? Dogs don't need it. Yet, it's still in Kibbles N Bits. Addictive factor. If dogs get addicted to it, people will continue to buy it for their dogs simply because it's all their dogs will eat. I imagine it works the same for human foods, too. I don't think it's as addictive as cocaine, however. Now that I have been making most of my meals homemade - generally even making my sauces homemade when it's possible! - boxed food, jar sauces, even canned vegetables just taste like well (excuse my language) shit. I don't think this is news at all, though. I'd hope that everyone knows that sugar in excess is not healthy. Anything in excess becomes unhealthy. Just read the labels, people, it's that easy. Be aware of what you're putting in your shopping cart.
  10. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I am addicted to sugar and am continually fighting off thrush which thrives on it..
    just had pills for thrush in my eosophagus..(and all through the body.)

I believe sugar helps preserve things a little longer? I may be wrong.

Yes.....sugar is bad for us!
  11. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

When I had thrush I added yogurt (plain) to my diet to get the microbes back into balance in my gut. It only takes a tablespoon of the stuff to get the benefit.
  12. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

The composition of high fructose corn syrup is different from sugar in that 75% of it is fructose whereas sugar has around 40% fructose. I have gone back to using regular sugar in my coffee. I'm also reading labels and I eat more fruit to satisfy my sugar fix.

I even switched to regular oatmeal from a carton instead of the packets. I found cinnamon is the ingredient that makes the regular oatmeal palatable without sugar. I also add fruit and coconut flakes. After eating this way for a couple of months, I had a packet of oatmeal and it was too sweet. That was when I truly realized just how sugar laden out food is.

We stay away from most processed food now and prepare foods from scratch.
  13. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

thanks for the tip..will try it.
  14. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

This doesnt surprise me, there are alternatives like miracle fruit, these fruit have been used for centuries and you chew them then they trick your tastebuds so everything sour/bitter becomes sweet, they were going to be used for dieting but the sugar industry stopped the plans in there tracks in america.
    Look of ebay you can find miracle fruit for sale, buy some and enjoy. Guiness tastes like caramel and lemons are sweeter than oranges.
    i have a pack on there way so soon i shall be back at the pub getting plastered on caramel/guiness lol
  15. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

Its also good to note that antimicrobial growth promoters are in your diet, thanks to this (and any occasion you took antibiotics) your microbiomes have been irreversably changed and you are more likely to become obese.
    AGP's are used to increase size and quality of meat, especially in unhygienic conditions.
  16. Autumn01

Autumn01 Well-Known Member

Sugar is probably as addictive as sex. lol
  17. Perhapsa3

Perhapsa3 Well-Known Member

Sugars are totally addictive. When I was reading about nicotine addiction I found that the symptoms were the same as that of my sugar addiction. One person wrote how she had to have a certain number of cigarettes and matches before she went out which is exactly how I felt about sugar. How many pieces of candy do I have and how much money do I have to buy some when I run out. Almost routine. :nonchalance:
  18. Random

Random Well-Known Member

So if I eat a whole bunch of it I should die right away.
  19. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

I don't know... I don't feel particularly addicted to sugar. Probably because I've had enough experience with REAL addictions. It's going to take a hell of a lot more than a slice of cake to stimulate my dopamine receptors. Maybe if you bake that cake with marijuana, frost it with black tar heroin and serve it with a side of brandy...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.