Sugar.

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by soapymongoose, Jan 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soapymongoose

soapymongoose Well-Known Member

As far back as I can remember my sugar intake has been almost inhuman. Sugar rushes have fuelled entire days activities. At worst I'd wake up and eat the biggest pack of whatever my current sugar-laced obsession is, same again for lunch and eat half a meal followed by chocolate and another bag of sweets for dinner. As well as 4-6 teaspoons in my 7-10 cups of coffee a day and a few cans of fizzy drink or, if I've got the money, Red Bulls. Been weaning myself off for a while, mostly shaking and lacking in co-ordination in the process. As well as struggling for energy obviously. Christmas was scary by mere fact of what I managed to eat sugar wise but I'd cut down in the weeks beforehand and since. I am prone to binging and purging too. I'm not diabetic, I get checked quite regularly, but I get heart palpitations and have a raging tacchycardia, my resting heart rate can rise to 120-130bpm. It can also drop to 60. I have many symptoms of a hyper-glycemic but "clean blood." I have a weed problem too, for as long as I can remember. Weed gives people "the munchies" I know but I can remember my craving for sugar started before the age of 10 and has been ritualistic since then. Weed has only been a bona-fide "problem" since I resigned myself to remaining thoroughly wasted as often as I can help it. That was nearly 3 years ago. Before then I gave my self 3 days off weed a week, whereby I'd either drink to a stupor for entire weekends or shift varying quantities of different 'phets. Still, a change is as good as a rest eh?

This is the first serious attempt I'm making at cutting down sugar in 18 years probably and, I know it is only "sweets, chocolates and fizzy pop" but it fucking hurts like hell sometimes. I've also never really given it a lot of thought until the past 6 months. I was the 12 year old who walked around school with the bottle of vodka in his kit bag and his mums prescription pills in his inside pocket. Narcotics have fuelled me forever, or it feels like. "A few too many sweets" has never really bothered me before.

Does anybody know what I mean?

2. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

I love sugar!

I have two modes of over consumption - alcohol or sugar. Good luck on cutting down on the sugar - it's tough. But you can do it!

3. Christianv2

Christianv2 Well-Known Member

Thats interesting, I havent heard much about addiction to sugar. I know after I went on the atkins diet for a long time, now everytime I have food that is sugary I feel so bloated and sick it sickens me to have it.

I know the addiction part to soda though, I used to drink like a twelve pack a day (diet, i love that stuff, like coke zero) but now Im weening my self slowly off of it. I only have like 1-2 a day! :)

4. SweetSurrender

SweetSurrender Well-Known Member

Absolutely i'm a sugar addict. It isn't as bad as yours but it is definately more than most. I'm very aware of what is acceptable and what isn't so i'm a covert sugar eater. Are you? I think other people may believe i eat well but i am actually addicted to sugar! It isn't as much that i eat lots but in a day it can be all i eat, especially when i'm depressed - it is my sugar high. :wink: I also have food obsessions, when i literally feel i need to eat the food or i won't be able to get through the day. Sometimes it is the only thing that keeps me going. I am also prone to binging and purging, i buy loads of crap sometimes and just eat and eat in my room when noone is about. Then i have to hid the evidence - do you do the same? I know that it is terrible for me, and i know that by leaving out all the other important vitamins i'm not doing my body any good but if i could have a sandwich or a chocolate bar for lunch i'll choose the choco bar. Do you find your sugar addiction leads you to lie a lot? I often lie about what i've eaten in a day, it can get me into all sorts of complications haha.
    My biggest downfall though is coke, so i've tried switching to coke zero but i know my teeth still don't like it! I used to be addicted to squash and i remember once when my mum decided to no longer have it in the house so she threw away a full bottle (mother madness!) and i had to go cold turkey, i was agitated and irritable and a very unhappy bunny all round. I think i'd be like that now if i had to give up coke, i seriously think it is the main thing that gets me through the day. I drink coffee but i don't really like hot drinks unless i can relax with it and in a usual busy day i don't get time.
    I don't think it really affects my energy levels although sometimes i feel so bloated and like total crap! I don't have any heart problems thank goodness, but i've never though about diabetes, i guess i'm in the mind-set that it wont happen to me because i'm immune or something. :dry:
    I didn't used to drink much but now i've started again i find i don't need to eat as much in the evenings as i would normally. Although alcohol can give me cravings i'm always aware of what i'm consuming, so if i know i'm going to eat loads at home in the evening i try and limit food intake in the day. Same with alcohol, i don't eat lots of sugar if i know i'll be having more than 2 glasses of wine. Dunno if that is a good thing or not.....do you do the same?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.