Suggestions on losing weight?

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by angelicgoddessofdeath, Oct 20, 2013.

1. angelicgoddessofdeath

angelicgoddessofdeath Active Member

I'm basically trying to lose body fat. Partically in the stomach, arms, thighs, etc. I can't afford to go to the gym and I can't hire a trainer. My neighbourhood is too dangerous to go on a jog or go out for a swim.
    I have cut out most meats in my foods (I every once a while eat seafood and seldomly eat any other kind of meat). I'm often constantly moving and even carrying heavy objects due to work. I have cut out most sweets and replace it with honey. Instead of salad dressings, I use olive oil.
    I'm trying not to stress out but my life is nothing but stress. I don't know how to live without it lol
    I really want to get rid of this nasty fat I have on me. Can anyone help me out here?
  2. rtrt46546565

rtrt46546565 Well-Known Member

I'd say to first figure out your BMR(basal metabolic rate)(I think that's the one.). You can find calculators for it online. I'm sure they're not 100% accurate but they should be close enough for giving you a general idea of your number. The number it'll give you is how many calories you should eat per day to stay at your current weight. From there, you can figure out how many calories less than that you wanna start eating per day to start losing weight.

As for which foods to take up those calories, well obviously the healthier foods you eat, the better.

For exercise, you honestly don't need a gym or trainer. They're just a waste of money, if you ask me(No offense to anyone who uses them.). But if you'd really like something like that, there are tons of free workout videos and things on YouTube. But all you really need to do is cardio, and all cardio is is moving your body. Could you walk/jog/do jumping jacks/etc. inside of your place? I used to do that when I was exercising and it worked for me, and I live in a very small place with not much room to move around in.

Another thing that helps with weight loss is speeding up your metabolism. You can Google about it and learn all the different ways to do that. But off the top of my head, eating 4-6 smaller meals per day rather than the usual 3 larger meals will help to speed it up, along with adding some spice to your food(Like black pepper, red pepper flakes, hot sauce, etc.) and even cinnamon, and also exercising around the time you wake up as opposed to later in the day helps too, I think.

I hope this helps you some. Good luck with your weight loss. :)
  3. tigerpx

tigerpx Active Member

At first, I would suggest "Mark Lauren" Programms for loosing your bodyfat. Specially because you have to carry heavy objects. You don't have to go to the gym neither have to go outside.

At second, I would say, "cutting" food out of your diet is not an good idea. Your body needs everything, don't cut out, but reduce a little at first. Your body needs to adapt to it. if you know what i mean.

Well, you wanna lose weight, I can't gain weight although I should .. -.-
  4. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

I think you will need some type of acitivity. What about skipping rope or something you can do in your house?
  5. SummersOver

SummersOver Member

What helped me lose a lot of weight was: Not making it about a number, following healthy recipe people on instagram, taking pictures of my healthy foods I liked, and exercise. When you exercise start out slow and with a goal, don't just go an do pushups and sit-ups, do it with the mind set of 'okay I am going to do twenty' and blast your favorite and most inspiring songs. Personally I like exercising to Florence and the machines because her music has beats that make me want to sprint and work my body. Another thing, as soon as you start working out think about how hard it is because the next time you go for pizza or any unhealthy food you will think twice 'do I want to work out extra hard tomorrow for eating this pizza?' I think its all about mind set and making it what you want, doing it for yourself and not others and being honest and asking yourself 'am I happy with my body without thinking of what others think'. BUT this is what works for me and may not work for you so dont get discouraged if you try this method and you dont find yourself doing well. Some people just hit the gym 3 days a week. I think the healthy way to lose weight and keep it off is this way, by eating healthy and working out. Because I am a female and therefor need my damn chocolate- to keep away those craving I drink chocolate protein drinks, usually before running (but not so soon to get cramps). Also take vitamins and get a good nights rest is helpful. Make it fun, I force myself to smile when Im doing crunches and try to think 'oh haha this isnt bad keep going gahhh!' and ya know... it works hahaha and then I pass out. Good luck, don't give up, and keep strong buddy!
  6. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

forget the BMR, that's crap. It wasn't even meant to be used as it is now.

The fastest to stop cravings, is to eat protein. If you don't eat meat, eat nuts, seeds, beans etc. They have good protein and protein sends a signal that you are full to your brain so you eat less. I would use canned food Or water jugs or bottle to do weight lifting. Weight lifting helps lose fat and tones your body so it's not limp from loss of fat. Plus it's quite easy to do, doesn't take a lot of time. Count calories, whatever you eat and try to stay between 1800-2000 calories per days...don't go less than 1200 calories because if you do you will actually GAIN weight.

I've done that and so far I've lost some weight...I've stopped the weight lifting and counting calories so I lose slower but I'm not gaining any weight...hope this helps
  7. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

turn your house in to a gym... seriously!. buy yourself a treadmill, and bike, maybe a rower.... and their you go
  8. Aquarius123

Aquarius123 Well-Known Member

Getting your weight into your grip may be helped by finding a better understanding of the deeper underlying source of your problem. If that sounds interesting, you might like to read

The Spiritual Perspective Of Eating Disorders

With love and light,
  9. pancake111

pancake111 Well-Known Member

Do a lot of walking. it does wonders
  10. silentlyfading

silentlyfading Well-Known Member

Right im a boxer so have to do this oftern to hit fight weight. Stay away from sat fats and carbs ie bread rice and pasta, replace carbs with proteins which I believe someone has said. Eat less but more often I.e 3 big meals = 3 smaller portions + 2 small snacks, because cutting out carbs will decrease energy levels so changing mealplans will counteract this. Stomach 90% diet 10%exercise btw situps dont work need a high cv calorie burn to reduce layers of fat that naturally build round that area . Arms because you lift alot of heavy weights at work you don't need to lift weights at home because they are already conditioned just do a lot of rapid arm movement's loke asif u were running to tone them. Best thing for hips n buns is walking up and down the stairs backwards. My top tips are... #1 if you do have bread either toast it as this burns off and starts breaking down calories or cut off the crust because this is where the majority of the calories and starch lie. #2 ice cold glass of water first thing in the morning 20mins before food, this will start your metabolism before you even eat... #3 (my favourite) a hot bath every night your body will burn energy trying to keep cool and also reduce you sodium levels wich cause bloating ect. Hope this helps :)
  11. Theowin

Theowin Active Member

There's a free app, My fitness Pal, it helps you log all your caloric intake and how much you burn during specific exercises. It worked thrillingly for me.
  12. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I used that site a few years ago and lost a stone. I had forgotten all about that site, thanks for the reminder and good luck on your weight loss journey x
  13. Twinkle ☆ Twinkle

Twinkle ☆ Twinkle Well-Known Member

In order to successfully lose weight you need to manage your diet, and exercise obviously helps too. I managed to lose weight by going vegetarian, so if you think you can handle it, it's something worth looking into. I feel alot better as a vegi than I did before. Also you don't really need a gym membership or go out running in order to exercise. Personally I can't afford the gym and I don't go jogging during the winter because where I live it snows alot. What I do instead is youtube workouts and do that. :)

Hope these suggestions help.
  14. Wereghost

Wereghost Member

While it is important to keep track of the things you are eating, I think that counting calories is one of the worst things you can, simply because it can make one obsessive - then the act of "dieting" is just that - a diet, instead of an enjoyable lifestyle change.

As far as diet, I say eat a lot of fruit and vegetables, go low on fats (replace that olive oil with fresh squeezed orange juice for your salads) and don't go overboard on portions. Smoothies are great snacks/meal replacements as well if you want to go that route. Toss some strawberries and blueberries in the blender with maybe some coconut milk, and you can even add lettuce or spinach leaves to give yourself a certified green smoothie.

There's so much you can do, just do the research.
  15. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

from what I understand, diet is 80% of the weight loss formula whilst excerise is 20% of it.

I excerised like no freaking tomorrow for 4 to 6 hours at given day for few months, got no where. When I quit the gym, I started to drop the pounds just simply because I lost interest in food. I only will eat when I'm hungry and stop no matter how much is left on the plate when I feel full. So far I'll eat whatever I damn want and its working I'm losing the poundage. I'm not caring no more about other peoples eating schedule. It's not breakfast, lunch or dinner anymore for me. It's chow time for me and it stops when I'm full. I also drink alot more water now.