Suicidal but terrified of Dying

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Lost&Confused, Mar 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lost&Confused

Lost&Confused Member

Hi everyone, this is my first post so I just hope I'm not breaking any rules with this one.

Everytime in my life that I have felt suicidal, my fear of dying stops me from going through with it. I'm not scared of being dead (well maybe I am), but it's the actual process of dying that really terrifies me. I have this fear of not being able to breath, of suffering in my final moments....I cannot shake it.

I was suicdal a few years ago and then I had a fear of being dead but then waking up in a coffin. It's like my subconscious is trying to jeopardise my efforts by scaring me sh*tless.

I just can't deal with these thoughts, it's making it hard for me to sleep at night as these fears keep entering my mind and cause me great distress.

Dee

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2008
  2. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Everyone is afraid of death. Just don't let your fear of death get the better of you. :hug:

3. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

maybe it's your subconscious mind telling you to live. some part of you must want to live, perhaps that's why you have that fear. I hope and pray you can find help and support, both from professionals and from people like us, so that you can overcome your problems and enjoy your life.

:hug:

4. Lost&Confused

Lost&Confused Member

I will try Dave, but I'm finding it difficult. It helps when my mind is occupied with other stuff, but if I have nothing to do then I'll start thinking about it.

Dee

5. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

i would like to welcome you to the forum. The process of dying is unknown, therefore many are afraid of it. i am glad it has kept you safe thus far and hope you are able to get the help and support you need to stay that way. take care. :hug:

6. Lost&Confused

Lost&Confused Member

Maybe that could be the reason, although I tend to think it's more because I'm afraid to suffer in life with no way out. Having the option of suicide was supposed to reassure me, knowing if things got to much I could always escape it all. But if I'm too scared to die I will have no option but to live in distress for the rest of my life which is also very frightening to me.

Thanks for your kind words. :smile:

Dee

7. Lost&Confused

Lost&Confused Member

Thank you. :smile: I have attemped suicide in the past, but since then these fears have crept in and prevented me from trying again.

Dee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.