Suicidal career

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by overnight_janitor, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I’ve been thinking about this for the past few years. Rather than kill yourself, you accept some extremely dangerous, but high-pay career that regularly places you at risk for imminent death.

I think this is a better alternative than suicide. You’ll live a life knowing you could die at any moment, and have more motivation to enjoy the moment. This will also remove much inhibition over long-term consequences.

I went to a psychiatrist recently, it was very hard to explain to them that I don’t want treatment, I just want to get diagnosed so I can have access to free career and lifestyle counseling, so I can find a death-guaranteed career or environment. My communication skills are terrible, I ended up with a Zoloft prescription instead.

I’m not depressed, I just don’t want to be alive, nor have I ever. I’d like to hear your thoughts on this.

Bomb disposal or disarment
    Landmine locator
    High-rise window cleaner or construction worker
    Oil rig worker
    Alaska fisherman
    Front-line solider
    Violent animal trainer
    Professional Russian roulette (my personal fav, is that only in the movies?)

As you might imagine, it's very difficult to find practical help in this matter.

2. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I think the risk of getting maimed is much higher than of dying in almost any job. This is why disability insurance is so much more expensive than life insurance, "morbidity" (insurance-ese for injury) on the job is much higher than "mortality" (insurance-ese for death).

Plus in a lot of these jobs you'd be working in a team, not alone. You might be putting others beside yourself at risk. Interesting idea, but I don't think a particularly workable one.

3. nedflanders

nedflanders Well-Known Member

Iraqi insurgent?

4. SickOfLife

SickOfLife Active Member

Skydiver. And convieniently forget to pull the cord

5. Magic

Magic Member

I agree with gmork. Most of those jobs don't really place you at risk of imminent death. But I have something to add. They aren't always extremely well-paid. And, most of them require special training. They don't just take random people from the street to join the bomb squad I think. And training isn't always the thing that depressed/suicidal people enjoy. You also have to undergo psychological checks when applying for most "dangerous" jobs. So there's a chance that you won't make it.

6. Good points.

The bomb and landmine ideas are not well-research I admit, Id like to be in a position like in the movies, where you are alone in a burning building trying to disarm a bomb. If you fail, you die, and the building is leveled. No big loss.

A major irony that occured to me is that some of these careers require training and employable skills. To go through school or work in groups might require therapy for the ill (it would for me), so you'd need to improve mentally just to get into a position to die. Imagine that.

It would be convenient and helpful for the system to accomodate people in my position, but no government would be brave enough to regulate it. Plus, society (and parents) expect return on investment from its citizens after education and raising, so help for suicidal but competent youth would be difficult to obtain.

7. Magic, I posted before I read your comment.

The psychological testing is big issue, as is referrals. They would undoubtedly ask for references to friends and family, of which I have none. My bizarre behaviour and reclusive lifestyle would be a major red flag.

I was hoping for advice to work around these issues, perhaps someone researched this thoroughly.

edit - could you get paid to skydive? I can't imagine anyone profiting from having someone else skydive?

8. New-Hope

New-Hope Well-Known Member

People can get sponsored by others to do a Skydive. Or you could become a sky diving instructor or something... might take a fair bit of training though!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2008
  9. Thanks, i'll look into that.

10. How about... woodchipper inspector?

But seriously... have you thought of trying clinical research stuff? Someone has to test the vaccines, pills etc. before they're put on the market. They'll pay you and you'll be doing a lot for people.

11. ithuriel

ithuriel Well-Known Member

i already do a job where i've had two nasty accidents.
    i operate circular and bandsaws that cut through solid steel bars like butter.
    to load these machines with 6/7 metre length bars i use an overhead gantry crane.
    i was nearly crushed around the thigh area once when the racking the material i was attempting to lift from broke , the pain of being caught between 5 tonnes on one side and two tonnes on the other was indescribable.
    fortunately i kept my head and used the crane to give me room to escape.
    apart from getting two blows to the head and breaking my nose when one of the metal chains from the crane swung and hit me in the face the most serious injury i recieved was when i had my hand mangled in a saw.
    i broke all but the middle finger and severed two tendons and needed an op that night. it took four months of physio to get my right hand working again and now i have one huge scar across my knuckles.
    as for bomb disposal etc.,
    they would never let you do that with suicidal tendencies.
    i was in the navy for a period of time in my twenties and everything was teamwork , poeple rely on each other.
    shooting an automatic rifle was cool :smile: as was survival training.

12. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I've participated in research studies before too. They pay pretty well too.

13. pit

pit Well-Known Member

Well first of all, I don't want you to die because you have imagination and a great sense of humor.

Personally, I would take front line soldier, because there's nothing better than dying as a warrior.

14. Good story ithuriel. It’s kind of funny in a dark way.

The clinical drug testing is a good idea, though potential side effects could lead to a lowered quality of life, as opposed to a shortened life. You still contend which a long and treacherous daily existence, with the bad side effects to boot.
    Could be a bonus side income though, and maybe you’ll find a drug that makes life more tolerable.

Interesting ideas.

15. ithuriel

ithuriel Well-Known Member

its quite funny when poeple ask how i scarred my hand so badly , i make up stories to see if they will fall for it.
    the best one was that a pet piranha jumped from a tank and savaged my hand:laugh:
    i'm bad i know:eek:hmy:

16. supergalley

supergalley Member

You're gonna have to pay to skydive, but that's the best way without a doubt. At least you can change your mind at any time up to the last 200 meters!
    You get into skydiving, you're probably gonna want to live to do it again as it's really amazing!

17. kitai16

kitai16 Well-Known Member

Hmm, maybe I'll join the army. Or skydive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.