Hi, I was hoping to get some advice from someone that may have dealt with a suicidal friend or loved one before. My girlfriend has been extremely depressed over the last three weeks. She suffers from depression and bi-polar disorder, but takes medication, and normally feels pretty good. Due to health insurance difficulties, she has had to change her anti-depressant medication. She has tried two new different medications over the last couple months, but neither one has really worked, so for the last week she is now back on the original medication. I know that these take a while to take effect sometimes, so maybe that explains her deeply depressed state of mind, but I don't really know. She has a doctor appointment coming up soon, and she just met with a therapist for the first time yesterday. We are in a long-distance relationship, and I try to be as supportive as possible on the phone. I am always available to talk to her and listen to her, to comfort her, and to cheer her up as much as possible. I remind her of our plans to see each other soon. But her condition is extremely bad (it's gotten worse over the last couple of days), and I am really starting to worry that she is at risk for suicide based on the things she says. I have asked for advice from a friend, and I talked to a person at a suicide hotline, asking about the best way to deal with this (the latter wasn't much help, actually). I also talked to one of her roommates and asked her to keep an eye on my girlfriend. It is now getting to the point that I am considering notifying her family about her condition. This one is really difficult for me, because I feel like I would be betraying her. She doesn't want her family to know, because she fears that her family will make her move back with them (to another state) which she thinks would make things even worse for her. I am terrified of making things even more painful for her, but at the same time I think she needs the family support. I am very torn. I have already written a detailed e-mail to her family, and now I'm trying to decide whether to send it. If you have any advice, especially if you have dealt with a similar situation, please let me know your thoughts. Thank you.