Suicidal ideation

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by GA_lost, Oct 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GA_lost

GA_lost Well-Known Member

Most people here have had suicidal ideation, however it is a very tricky thing to deal with. What is the line between thoughts that is just thinking about it, and what is the time you need to take yourself to an ER?

2. solutions

solutions Well-Known Member

That's a good question. I would say the ER would be appropriate if there's an attached feeling of imminence, if the suicidal feelings are totally preoccupying and there's an urgency about them.

I've been sent to the ER for ideation once, and I had an overwhelming feeling of imminence, as if I had to act on those thoughts soon and needed a quick solution to the agitation.

3. PandorasToybox

PandorasToybox Well-Known Member

Hmm yeah, I think that's a question a lot of us wonder about. I think the answers vary from person to person, but personally if I feel overwhelmed by the ideas/thoughts, I get help asap, even if that means calling my counsellor at 1am to take me to the ER. The sooner you can deal with ideations, the less you can allow them to take over. Never hesitate to get help.

4. spidy

spidy Well-Known Member

I seem to act then on my intentions then ring somebody maybe i leave it to late sometimes.Always feel like hinderance if i go to hosp.

5. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

My therapist taught me, "Thoughts lead to feelings and feelings lead to behavior."

I tackle it at the thought level to try to keep from the feeling level. If the feelings start happening I get help immediately.

6. sinnssykdom

sinnssykdom Banned Member

That's a good way to go by.

7. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I think its when you get to the planning stage that you need to seek to go to the ER..

On the other hand, that may well be too late so it's probably best to seek help when the suicidal ideation first begins :hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.