Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings subform is being viewed by public

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by DrownedFishOnFire, May 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

It took me a while to realise I was not logged in and noticed that the members only subforum was viewed by public computers/mobile. I tested at the library and was able to read the sensitive stuff without logging in.

If it has changed then change from members only to public so people know and are aware its not private anymore.
  2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We have been doing a lot of editing and updating (mostly not visible but some small changes are visible as well as you may have noticed). I will look into what setting s are and where they should be or were, but the bottom line is that the site is open to anybody that requests a username and provides a date of birth of 13 in its entirety and is also why we require anonymity and do not allow real names, personal pictures, or even email addresses and contact details because all of it with the exception of private diaries is readily viewable by 20,000 members and anybody else that so much as asks for a member name.

Thanks and we will look into it :)

- Ben
  3. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Thanks for posting this! I'm going to go through and remove the Members Only descriptions and change them to Public.
  4. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Wow quick replies! Thanks for both of your replies and I see the adjustment has been done.
  5. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I went through the forum and fixed all the ones I could find that had changed. If you run across any more, please let me know.
  6. MoAnamCara

MoAnamCara SF Artist

Why this particular change, if I may ask?

I understand your point NYJ, btw. I'm just curious.

This means then that all posts/content now public will be accessible to search engines etc.?
  7. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

Hi Mo,

The reason for this is partly because we get literally thousands of people who sign up for an account just to read the private areas - this takes up space and a lot of staff time activating accounts for people just so they can read what is in these forums and never post or reply to anyone.

It also means that people will find us more easily on search engines - at the moment when people Google things to do with suicidal thoughts and suicide they get sent to sites with methods and dangerous things. We want them to be sent here for help instead.

As NYJ said, this is why we have privacy rules and rules about not posting identifying information in posts etc :)

NOT all posts/content are public - several forums are still private.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. MoAnamCara

MoAnamCara SF Artist

Thanks Freya for explaining.
  9. flowers

flowers Senior Member

Thanks everyone for the info. It helps me a lot to know the info. As long as diary area is still private I feel safe posting there.
  10. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

The diary area is still private and will absolutely be staying private - both public and private diaries. The Rape and Abuse forum will also remain private.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.