• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

Suicidal thoughts

Lily16

Why do people think it is so easy to just snap out of feeling suicidal? Go to therapy, think positive and get on with it. Well it is not that easy or I would have done it already. I want to be positive, I am on meds, doing therapy and trying my best to stay every single day. I feel like I am losing the fight.

Nick

☆☆Still Ducking Fantastic ☆☆
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
I don't think it's that simple for some people. There are people who are able to follow the pattern, but for many that isn't the case. It wasn't the case for me. "Just snap out of it" sounds nice, but I'm not sure that's how it works. For me a lot of it has been learning to deal with the suicidal feelings. I'm not sure they will every completely go away, and accepting that instead of continuing to try to constantly get rid of them actually helped me. I shifted to learning how to live with them, which sounds weird.

You are trying and that says a lot. You do what you can. It is a battle, and it is very draining. I'm sorry it's taking so much out of you. You can always come here and talk to us.

Lily16

I don't think it's that simple for some people. There are people who are able to follow the pattern, but for many that isn't the case. It wasn't the case for me. "Just snap out of it" sounds nice, but I'm not sure that's how it works. For me a lot of it has been learning to deal with the suicidal feelings. I'm not sure they will every completely go away, and accepting that instead of continuing to try to constantly get rid of them actually helped me. I shifted to learning how to live with them, which sounds weird.

You are trying and that says a lot. You do what you can. It is a battle, and it is very draining. I'm sorry it's taking so much out of you. You can always come here and talk to us.
Thank you

Why do people think it is so easy to just snap out of feeling suicidal? Go to therapy, think positive and get on with it. Well it is not that easy or I would have done it already. I want to be positive, I am on meds, doing therapy and trying my best to stay every single day. I feel like I am losing the fight.
Because they have most likely never been (truly) suicidal. . . They most likely have been depressed — perhaps even severely so, and perhaps even for an extended period (especially if it was not due to an unforeseen circumstance, etc.) / & so, for this reason, they think they can relate to you, and what you’re going through. Though, however if this were uncertainly true, the statistics/&- or statistical rates for suicides would not be what they are. Nor would psychiatrists & psychologists track record, in terms of successfully beneficial treatment of patients (as well as their overall satisfaction for the way their case is, and or has been going; on short, how happy they are!), be so poor - relatively speaking. For those with seriously, profoundly seemingly incurable — or let’s just for kindness & arguments sake, dial it back and say, for those considered “clinically depressed,” or major depression (these days) - what might be considered an acceptable or favorable approval rate? That is, I’m helping this individual , not necessarily more than hurting, but are they getting better? I’m guessing it’s not all that great. That said, you probably hear a lot more about those who continue to struggle and suffer, as opposed to those who achieve a level of attainable and sustainable remission, such that they are able to function in their daily lives (free from suicidal thought). 💭

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$150.00
Goal
$255.00