Suicide and Hypersensitivity?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Dave_N, Jul 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

I've been a member of SF for a few years (off and on) and a reoccurring theme, seems to be that hypersensitive people seem to become suicidal more frequently than people who are not hypersensitive. Being hypersensitive means that your senses are heightened, making you more perceptive to other people's emotions and feelings. Hypersensitive people are also more affected by environmental damage and overall negative aspects of the world.

I am not a hypersensitive person and maybe this is why I am not suicidal either. When I'm faced with challenges and problems, I do whatever I can to overcome them. I try not to let the problems of others influence me in a negative way, which helps prevent me from being depressed. I do get stressed out sometimes, but I always bounce back.

Does anyone feel like they are hypersensitive?

2. greyroses

greyroses Well-Known Member

I am without even a little bit of doubt really stinkin hypersensitive. I remember even when I was a kid my mom would always be saying how sensitive I was...as did therapists etc. later in life. It sucks more than slightly, because you can see people who *are not* oversensitive and dont seem to have the constant and isane amount of stress you have in trying to deal with life.

3. Cortez

Cortez Banned Member

When my anxiety and depression is really bad, yes.

4. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

Sorry to hear about the problems that hypersensitivity has caused you. I just try not to sweat the small stuff, but I've met people who get stressed over practically everything and it must be hard living like that. I do get stressed out occasionally though.

5. Michael Ayin

Michael Ayin Well-Known Member

I've "trained" myself to be more semi-stoic because of this. Some people think I'm rather arrogant because I'm rather aloof because I no longer react so harshly to things everyday. That's not true. It's part for me to survive.

I do think there is a connect between both suicide and hypersensitivity.

Several things happened to make a good friend of mine drink himself to death. He was most definitely hypersensitive; he really was a someone that could not handle the pain this world brings. I judge him not for that. Not one bit.

6. Young suicider

Young suicider Well-Known Member

In the last year or two I have been as Hypersensitive as I think is possible.

If someone say HI to me I could flip out emotionally

Being Hypersensative has helped me decide a lot of things.

7. Things

Things Well-Known Member

I'm very hypersensitive. It's probably why my emotions are so erratic (one minute I'm hyper and pretty content, the next I'm having a break down.

8. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

Maybe trying to work on being less hypersensitive might help reduce suicidal urges?

9. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I don't believe that people kill themselves or feel suicidal because of being 'hypersensitive' because depression combined with low self worth, can mean people get incredibly numb. And when you're on edge, emotional fragility (rather than heightened perception) comes with that, rather than being a cause for being suicidal. I dislike using the word sensitive/hypersensitive in this way....I just understand that severely depressed/suicidal people can be emotionally fragile, rather than being sensitive, because I've been around many people with MH problems, who for whatever reason- do not have heightened perception or any sort of sensitivity when it comes to dealing with emotional issues.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2010
  10. Things

Things Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how to do that. I've been trying for years. :/

Plates- Hmm, maybe I'm misusing the word then. I'm never really sure about anything.

11. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Maybe you aren't? Because I feel the same way you do about mood changes, especially when I'm not feeling good. Do you find your mood evens when you generally feel ok? Or does everything just feel too loud/bright and you get overwhelmed easily?

I was more talking about when people are low/depressed, and people say "you are too sensitive," and not even listen why the person is reacting that way to avoid looking at themselves. In that way.

12. Things

Things Well-Known Member

I'm not real sure. I get overwhelmed by lights and colors sometimes. Certain sounds that don't bother most people bother me. It's not the volume of it though, I just don't like the sound (like rumbling for example). I assumed hypersensitivity also meant more acute pain or emotions, but that's probably something different?

Oh yes, that's pretty annoying.

13. Hello4902

Hello4902 New Member

Fred Rogers Aka Mr. Rogers from Mr Rogers neighborhood was a highly sensitive person. This is why he was almost abnormally empathetic/compassionate to others, especially children.

He was an intern at NBC i think and was getting somebody a coffee and they yelled at him because it was the wrong kind and he said he remembered he felt so crestfallen and sad over that, that he never wanted to make anyone feel like that ever.

Mike Tyson of all people was a hypersensitive person. In terms of emotions.

14. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

I never would have guessed that Iron Mike Tyson would be a hypersensitive person. He always looks so tough and macho.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.