Suicide and property value.

Hey guys, Suicide must have a negative effect on property value but does anyone here know how much is value affected ? Is that like a deal breaker for client ? All opinions are welcome, if someone has experience in real estate i would be especially interested in reading your opinion . Also does suicide in a hotel room affect their business ?

Anne74

I would say it has more an effect on families rather than property. But of course most houses have a history of having someone die there natural or unnatural. All houses new and old have a history . Suicide is the taking of one's life . They wanted to end the pain so to them it was the right thing. It's all what way you look at it. It can be positive and anyone dying in a house can be viewed positive or negative. I think most people wouldn't want to buy a house if they know the full history . My house has a history because it very old. I know people died in it and were born here too. I think about 5 to 6 died here but you know the hospital has a lot more deaths. So what about sleeping on hospital bed that someone died on . I think the hospital is a lot more creepy. They wash down the bed after all the blood too.

Anne74

It doesn't bother me if someone died in my house. It's apart of living. Some of us want to live and some want to die. It's more of a question is do you believe they will haunt u after they die. I think a house where a murder happened would have trouble selling it. For example the chris watts home is still waiting for a buyer. Who would want to buy a house where he murdered his entire family. Suicide is a choice murder is not.

I've never considered that, I have no clue. I wouldn't have thought so, it's not something scary or "cursed" like a murder in a house, but I really don't know if it effects anything like that. I mean for starters I doubt estate agents would even know someone commited suicide in a house, unless the family told them, which being such a private matter, I doubt they would. As far as I'm aware you don't have to disclose if there's been any deaths in the house before you sell it either. I really don't know though, just thinking logically. I would've thought a hotel would keep it quiet too so nobody would know. If a rumour got out then maybe less people would want to stay there cause of the taboo of suicide

just found this out:

"While many people wouldn't be bothered about a death in a home, in some cultures it's a deal breaker. Because it's a major issue for some buyers, California, Alaska and South Dakota require home sellers to reveal that information to all potential buyers."

"If you live in California, for example, you must disclose whether any deaths occurred on the property within the last three years. Few other states’ laws contain such a requirement, however. In fact, in some states, sellers are explicitly told (within the law or by court decisions) that they do NOT need to disclose deaths on the property to buyers. This is the case in Arizona, Georgia, and Pennsylvania, for example. If in doubt, consult an attorney.
Of course, if a prospective home buyer asks you outright about whether anyone has died in the home, you cannot lie (unless you want to risk being later sued for fraud)."

"When Must Death in the Property be Disclosed? Under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations (CPRs), property vendors are obliged to declare any information that can decrease the value of the property or affect its enjoyment. Among other things, this also includes murder and suicide in the property." (in the UK)

KA9

Gone with the wind
I've been looking after an apartment left after an old lady for the last few months, and I have to say I've recently found that staying here gets me agitated - all I need is a walk outside and I'm fine again. I wonder 🤔

Also some people are even more superstitious than me. Apparently there was a woman here visiting and when she heard someone died here, she couldn't get out of here fast enough.

Value of property tho? I would guess that if buying an older property, it can be expected. A 100 years ago nobody would bat an eye, these days people can be more sensitive however.

I've been looking after an apartment left after an old lady for the last few months, and I have to say I've recently found that staying here gets me agitated - all I need is a walk outside and I'm fine again. I wonder 🤔

Also some people are even more superstitious than me. Apparently there was a woman here visiting and when she heard someone died here, she couldn't get out of here fast enough.

Value of property tho? I would guess that if buying an older property, it can be expected. A 100 years ago nobody would bat an eye, these days people can be more sensitive however.
That is what I was thinking too. Even I would be uncomfortable buying property where someone has commited suicide. It is total superstition but it is difficult to shake that dreaded feeling off.

just found this out:

"While many people wouldn't be bothered about a death in a home, in some cultures it's a deal breaker. Because it's a major issue for some buyers, California, Alaska and South Dakota require home sellers to reveal that information to all potential buyers."

"If you live in California, for example, you must disclose whether any deaths occurred on the property within the last three years. Few other states’ laws contain such a requirement, however. In fact, in some states, sellers are explicitly told (within the law or by court decisions) that they do NOT need to disclose deaths on the property to buyers. This is the case in Arizona, Georgia, and Pennsylvania, for example. If in doubt, consult an attorney.
Of course, if a prospective home buyer asks you outright about whether anyone has died in the home, you cannot lie (unless you want to risk being later sued for fraud)."

"When Must Death in the Property be Disclosed? Under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations (CPRs), property vendors are obliged to declare any information that can decrease the value of the property or affect its enjoyment. Among other things, this also includes murder and suicide in the property." (in the UK)
Thanks for the info*bravo. Voluntarily disclosure means clients turning away sadly.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00