Suicide As A Backup?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Entoloma43, Jan 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Entoloma43

Entoloma43 Well-Known Member

Just curious if anyone else views suicide as a sort of backup plan in case things go wrong, and get comfort out of the thought?

For example, I'm in college now and I think "If I graduate, still have never had a g/f, can't find a job due to the economy, <insert x, y, z>, I can always just kill myself"

It's sort of nice to know I can end everything if things get bad enough.

(Also, I'm not religious, so afterlife stuff doesn't worry or burden me any)

2. letmego3

letmego3 Well-Known Member

i can see were your coming from and i'm sure alot of people do. i'm constantly anxious that i'll never be able to get any work and be homeless, so i get anxious alot. when i think about dying my anxiety goes down and i feel very relieved. killing myself is my escape outside the 'box of life' as i like to call it. i believe there is much more after death. i have a good way for when i need to do it. it does make things more easy if you have a backup plan because you may feel more relaxed and then be able to live each day as it comes. Hope that helps.

3. hornbeam

hornbeam Well-Known Member

yes I do - its kept me going for quite a while.

4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I think that having that in the back of our minds gives us some kind of control feeling that we have some power over what happens I do hope you have other back ups as well hun to help you cope

5. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

The Mathematics of Misery, from the always-excellent blog The View From Hell.

tl;dr version: the possibility of suicide as an opt-out establishes a lower bound of the consequences of risk at zero. In English, that just means that actively suicidal people can afford to take lots of high-stakes risks, since the worst possible outcome for them is death- a state that is completely neutral with respect to pleasure and suffering. Whereas someone who doesn't view suicide as an option has to account for the possibility that any risks they take might result in negative utility, that is, they could end up living a fate worse than death, without hope for (early, self-chosen) death as refuge from their suffering.

The flip side of this (what the blogger means by "effective suicidality") is that even people who declare that they would never kill themselves often act in ways that reveal their (possibly unconscious) belief that suicide is a valid and plausible backup plan, by taking big risks that may have devastating, life-ruining consequences. Which is something that we all do much more than we generally realize.

6. pancake111

pancake111 Well-Known Member

I kind of have it as a back up plan. I don't feel like committing suicide at the moment, but I don't have a problem with doing it in the future. I feel like my ultimate demise will be from suicide.

7. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

^ Yeah I kind of feel the same way. Not immediate but that it might be my only way out.

8. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

One thing this forum has taught me is that I'm not alone in anything I think and feel.

It's a backup for me. If things haven't improved in my life by the time I'm 30, I'm going. I have 6 years left. I can't face the prospect of being lonely it hurts. I can't live with the knowledge that my "friends" don't care about me. Call me crazy, but I still have hope that things will pick up.

9. Fredericks

Fredericks Well-Known Member

It seems to be my constant backup plan, ever since high school. If I severely screw up x, then I can just kick it. If x situation gets too scary, I can just kick it. It's pretty comforting to have this secret way out. Of course, it makes thinking/talking about the future really strange: when my peers are considering where they'll be in a year or five, part of my mind is saying, "Never mind, I'll probably be dead." But still, it's like I can't go totally completely wrong: I can get out.

10. Null

Null Well-Known Member

I like that statement. It actually makes me feel better.

Yes, its always a backup plan, always a viable option for the worst.

11. pancake111

pancake111 Well-Known Member

I did the same thing freshman year in high school. Whenever people would talk about the future, I would always think "I'll probably be dead, so I don't really care.". The freaky/weird thing is, I was never scared about thinking that. I was very calm about knowing I was going to kill myself soon.

12. PandorasToybox

PandorasToybox Well-Known Member

Yes- I figure if my college career falls apart, I'll have no future, & I don't want to face that. Even now with the way things are going I'm thinking about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.