Suicide Attempt Survivor

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by sammons68, Nov 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammons68

sammons68 New Member

Hello all,

I attempted suicide on August 23rd 2007. I took <mod edit: Artifice no details please> sleeping pills, drank an incredible amount of alcohol and then jumped off a local bridge.

Due to the fact that at 10:30 pm it was low tide and that I took so many sleeping pilss that my heart rate slowed to almost a stop. That is what saved me. I washed up on shore the next day and was found in the marsh around 4:00pm on Friday the 24th. I spent 3 days in a coma in the hospital and then 1 week in the psych ward.

I am still coping with the reasons why I tried to kill myself which are a divorce that my wife and I are going through and the custody battle for our son. I am an alcoholic and I attend meetings when I can, but I get what's called "tough love" whenever I talk about my attempt. So it is hard for me to find anyone who will truly listen and not brush me off as psychotic.

I am glad I found this forum. I will check it regularly.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2007
  2. lil-sis-one-of-two

lil-sis-one-of-two Well-Known Member

HI ya

Thats awful I cant believe you survived that, your obviously not ment to die yet.

I am here if you wanna talk I wont judge you.

3. Beret

Beret Staff Alumni

:welcome: to SF Sammon. Im very happy you have survided your attempt and hope you will find here the support necessary to go on.
    Beret xx
  4. Up&down

Up&down Well-Known Member

Glad you survied
    I to go to meetings and have not had a for nearly ten years now, for me I had to find the reason I drank dangerous amounts in the first place.
    Divorce is hard I recently went through a bad one I didn't think I would have survived it but I did and didn't have the need to pick up a drink, If I had of picked up a drink or commited suicide she would have won and the thought of that kept me going.
    Drink only makes things worse for me and I'm sure if you if you were not drunk you would not have jumped off the bridge.
    If the meetings you go to are not helping change your meetings.
    Get yourself a good solicitor and support and let them sort it all out for you, I have my six year old 3 or four times a week now when before it was only supervised visits, things will and can sort themselves out.
    Suicide is not the answer and your ex could use the attempt against you.
    Please draw a line under it, move forward, get help, stop drinking, then if the socials or courts are involved they will see you are trying and will make sure you get to see your kids.
    Sometimes the only way to get even with a partner who has hurt you is to improve your life and show it was them that were hold you back.
    Take good care of yourself.

5. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

I am glad you survived x
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.