Suicide Clusters: How Does It Happen

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by pit, Aug 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pit

pit Well-Known Member

I've been reading about the Bridgend suicides in Wales. Now I can understand one individual taking their own life, but more than a dozen people? Is this a form of mass hysteria or what?
  2. triedtoomanytimes

triedtoomanytimes Well-Known Member

There is still research going on into cluster phenomena. Bridgend, technically speaking, wasn't a suicide cluster, more a series of tragic deaths.
  3. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

idk the situation you are refering to exactly, but it's an idea/subjection that sparks and spreads through people whom are either susceptable to intense feelings/ideas, or are already in a weakened state and are prone to this level of thinking/feeling.
    You don't exactly walk into a cancerward and start conversations about how pointless and useless it is to try in life.

The thing is with groups, is it brings people together on a relationtional level. Wether they directly know eachother, or know of eachother, it "binds" them together in these peoples minds, thus allowing them to create more permenant smaller actions that precipitate larger thoughts/feelings/actions that lead to an action of suicide. Some people feel comforted by the involvment of other people(which to be fair... means you yourself personally have more strength for life inside of you, but with the momentum and weight of other peoples depression/negativity, it out weighs your current personal ability to shine your positive nature, thus allowing a more sinister drive to take place)..

It depends... mass hysteria is an easy to of blanketing so many unique individal issues into one clump. It more or less is associated to not being alone.

Just thought I'd add.. that's all crap. Never listen to anyone who spews "we'll go together" or anything like that. Never. :(
  4. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

pit- just Googled it, and it would seem that there is talk of supernatural involvement over the town. In a bad way, of course. People may scoff at this and say how ridiculous, but (only) psychological brainwashing would stop before phenomena such as this
  5. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

I'd defiantly agree that there was an abundance of negativity surrounding these people. Beit innocent depressional expression that wasn't balanced with anything positive, or something more.... well. I don't want to speculate.

Regardless, anyone can sound like they have the answers if they know how to "talk". But sometimes when a very bad honest reality is shared, it can simply break fundamental walls for those whom are already weakened and produce a spiral effect. It'd be like somehow proving to a group of people whom had worked and slaved for years that all their hard work that they beleived was going into something good and positive has been for nothing and a lie, the very foundation of what they had strived for and rested their own "spirit" upon had been ripped away.

It's a very nasty horrible thing to think of, when people believe things are and have been in vain and believe that the oomph and spirt of "life" or "rest" from pain lays in suicide. It's distortion of the truth. Sometimes you can't see the the best parts of life because there is so much shit surrounding you, and when other people voice the same thing, you start to concrete and believe what you're feeling and what they're saying.
    Sorta like, "in the absence of light, there is darkness". The thing is, light is always there, it's just in dire dark times, when all you can hear is the darker parts of life, you can start to believe that's all there is. Couple that with friends, family, neighbours or people in your area feeling the samething, you start to cluster together, because we naturally do care about eachother. We get a warmth by being around eachother, even in a negative fasion. People don't want to be alone most of the time. So there is a fine degree of comfort in being around other people who feel the sameway. It's like a warmth in the darkness, but sometimes, when people find eachother, and all these people can see outside of themselves is harm and pain because of the shit that they are surrounded with, they can make things seem so much worse and impossible than they are. When in truth, if they just had ...
    well idk..
    Who knows, it's just speculation on my part, but I do believe in the better parts of who we are, and when people fall into these sorts of places, especially en-mass... things arent balanced and they're being denied some very basic things in life.
  6. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

My understanding of the concept of suicide clusters is that they happen within a group that makes up a particular demographic in the situation - like shared beliefs, attending the same school, peer groups, etc. When one person suicides, those in their peer group can often be more sensitive to following in the suicide's footsteps - for a variety of reasons. If one or more suicides occur in the group after the initial suicide, it becomes a so-called suicide cluster. As noted by another poster, there is no reason that any person or group who truly cares about our well-being would want us to suicide for any reason. Avoid such people and/or groups.

urPrecious I respectfully disagree that psychological brainwashing stops before this (multiple suicides in a group) would happen. Brainwashing is part of what "cults" do, and there have been destructive cults associated with mass suicides. To be sure, there are many religions that are helpful to many people. It's the "cults" that seem to be problematic. One such cult that resulted in a huge mass suicide was the Jamestown, Guyana cult...Wikipedia says...

Reverend James Warren "Jim" Jones (May 13, 1931 – November 18, 1978) was the founder and leader of the People's Temple which is best known for the November 18, 1978 mass suicide of 909 Temple members in Jonestown, Guyana, along with the killings of five other people at a nearby airstrip.

Pit, I've no idea about the situation you noted. It sounds scary. To think that any other person would encourage others to harm themselves. Or that others would identify so strongly with a suicide they would follow suit. It's all tragic in so many ways. :sad:
  7. youRprecious!

Fair enough, but according to what I googled, (briefly from memory here, without going back to check)..... investigations were carried out in the Bridgend case which showed up inconclusive re any brainwashing

There is an unseen reality called the collective unconscious, which is "supranatural" - but we're getting into deep water here.
  8. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

urPrecious...Didn't realize you were talking about the Bridgend situation in particular.

I do think that in a lot of situations where people make bad choices, there is heavy peer pressure and sometimes a sort of group think. I cannot discount "the collective unconscious" - but you're right, that's a whole other deep issue. I truly think (or hope) that most people, and therefore the collective unconscious as a whole, are "good" or well-intended. :dunno: You're right, I'm in over my head. :laugh:
  9. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

What happened in Bridgend was tragic. A series of suicides in such a short space of time. However, I think these suicides had such an impact because it is quite a small, quiet town. I think the media made this situation worse, in some warped sense it could have encouraged copy cat suicides. Yes there has been an increase of suicides, but if you look at the whole picture, the amount of people who commit suicide there yearly is far minute compared to the majority of places in the world. Also Bridgend is a place that doesn't have much to offer people, young people especially. There's not much activity and I don't think mental health services are too brilliant there.
  10. youRprecious!

Well, concerning this, Jung had a lot to say about it, which makes sense to my way of thinking..... Yes, we all hope that collectively, humanity would come out on the positive caring side (like on SF here!) ........ but I had better stop there before I join you, LOL!!

aCTUALLY, (I'm editing now).... no, I must be more honest....... I've had personal experience of the effect of one person's mistake affecting more than that one person, and involving this realm. It brought about my attempt..... So, I do know that it exists, (but also, that the "authorities" are reluctant to accept this, because of the ramifications.) However, Jung and his "archetypes" theories have been my way of understanding it, after the event.
  11. Throwmeawayout

Throwmeawayout Active Member

I am not a researcher in this area, so grain of salt...

I have always felt like sequential suicides over even a short period are a completely different animal than mass suicides.

I would say this kind of phenomenon is closer to suicide that runs in families. Although there may be a genetic component there, the actions of previous generations may affect those that come later. In a similar way, suicidal ideation may be sort of contagious in a community. Of course, there are a lot of studies about the view/impact of suicide in different cultures as well. The Japanese view of suicide has always particularly interested me (trying not to sound morbid here).
  12. youRprecious!

Yes, there would be an element of contagion when it happens over time in a community...... we've had similar in New Zealand. But at the end of the day, when a person suicides, it is themselves who are making the decision to do so. And this can be because (either/or, or both/and) of the pressure of what they believe about their own circumstances, coupled with any influence from any pattern in their community. If a group enters into a pact, it is each member's choice to commit - how much of that is brain-washing, who would know? But the Japanese have a word for their particular kind of brain-washing - kamikaze. Jung would say the archetype involved is "the hero", probably much the same idea as the Islamic suicide bombers - now that tends to be contagion & brainwashing I reckon
  13. BrinkOfExistence

BrinkOfExistence Well-Known Member

I think the Aokigahara forest ( The Sea of Trees ) is much more unusual, around a 100 people a year attempt to commit suicide there. If you plan of looking into this place remember it may cause triggering.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.