Suicide & debts you leave behind

Discussion in 'The Uncertainty Principle' started by Depressica Suicydal, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Depressica Suicydal

Depressica Suicydal Active Member

If a person commits suicide, what happens to any debts they may leave behind? Do they "go away" since you obviously can't pay them anymore? :rolleyes: Do they become the responsiblity of the next of kin? What if the next of kin is too poor to pay them? I can't ask anyone this question without getting weird looks, so I thought maybe someone here would have the answer.

Thanks in advance.

2. twilightki

twilightki Well-Known Member

Depends on what the 'debts' are. Be more specific about that, it depends on the situation.

All I can tell you, is that suicide itself leaves a debt. Emotional pain is the greatest debt you can leave on someone.

Peace, and be well my friend. I hope you make it through. I trust in you.:smile:

3. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

Very well said. :smile:

4. the other guy

the other guy Well-Known Member

Since we are on this subject, I owe the gov for taxes, and health care.

Any info for that?

5. Depressica Suicydal

Thanks for the encouragement. It was very um... fluffy.

I'm not as deep in debt as some people are, but debt is debt nonetheless and I don't want any of my loved ones to be stuck with them should I ever take The Plunge.

The debts are have are:

student loans
    credit cards (only have 1 credit card, thank God)
    other accounts that have now gone into collection-- 1 from a bank, another from an car insurance company and a few others. I have all these things in collection because I've been having the hardest time keeping a job for the last 2 years. I've only been able to pay rent and utilities (barely), so everything else had to go to pot. Just one of the many sources of my misery. :dry:

That's about it. So, any advice?

6. Depressica Suicydal

So is anyone gonna give me any advice here, or am I on my own about this?

7. bunny

bunny Staff Alumni

we cant provide that kind of info here, this is a pro life site and any advice on this subject could be seen as helping you prepare for death

8. thinker

thinker Guest

You will find that if you decide to die Depressica, some here will treat you as if you already do not exist. I did answer but bunny deleted.

9. thinker

thinker Guest

Just realized I have falsely slandered the name of bunny! There was just now another thread in the suicide forum where someone asked about debt, which I answered, and thought this was the same one, so I assumed bunny deleted it but no the reply is still there.

I have blasphemed the bunny. I have spoken the name of bunny in vain. Sorry about that bunny, really!

-1 me
    +1 bunny

10. Robin

Robin Guest

Continue to mock the staff and post advice when already told not to and you will find yourself under moderation again. What may seem like a joke to you hurt a real persons feelings who found this site researching suicide methods just like most people here.

11. thinker

thinker Guest

And I'm not a real person Robin? You're right, I suppose I'm not. Even though I'm not quite a real person, I still feel. That was not a mock of bunny, it was an actual apology. I did think that I had falsely slandered bunny by saying it was deleted when it wasn't. Now I see though that you did delete the post and fasely accuse me yet again for doing something that was harmless.

12. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

Ive got debts from my university days which would no doubt weigh down my parents if i was to top myself.

13. I do not think you should end your life. Nobody will answer your question, I am sure, so there are two ways out - settle your debts in a foolproof way before deciding to end your life - and take measures to relieve the emotional pain, put yourself in thier place. But remember, the act of suicide WILL have a devestating effect on your family/people close to you, there is nothing you can do that will leave people able to deal with life once you have gone. So, better, get help and live your life for the sake of those around you.

14. smackh2o

smackh2o Well-Known Member

I asked the same question a while back about student loans. Although I can't tell you what I was told for fear of being silenced (which in a way I agree with).
    You care about these people not to want to leave them debts. I've been there before and I know I thought well it's either live and suffer or kill myself. Make it as easy on my folks as possible. Look at it from their point of view, picture the graveyard they have to stand in. I doubt money would mean much after seeing that. Give them a chance to help you.
    Can you not talk to the people you care about like I can't? Does the fear choke everything you've ever wanted to say to them?

15. Depressica Suicydal

Can anyone here offer an answer to my original question? Haven't gotten a definitive answer on this one. Thanks.

16. smackh2o

All debts are different. I can't go into it as it may aid you in your focus on suicide maybe and that is not what the site is about.

17. reefer madness

reefer madness Account Closed

I think it's stupid that you can't discuss what happens to your debts after you die. It's something that effects just about everyone, not just those that suicide.

18. Depressica Suicydal

I apologize for any inconvenience this thread may have caused, but I feel that 1.) I have the right to ask this or any other question because I have the right to free speech and 2.) People have the right to answer me if they wish for the same reason, whether the questions or answers are pro-life or not.

However, I do respect and intend to abide by the rules and expectations of this forum because I value it and everyone who contributes. Therefore, if anyone has the answer/s to this question, please PM me so as not to upset the administrative apple cart.

Thanks in advance for any information and again, I apologize for any ignorance on my part.

19. smackh2o

Well it really depends on the type of debt. What country you may be in, loopholes etc... If you really want to find out there are sites on the net that will help you if you scan on google. But as I said before, I had a student loan debt I was wondering what would happen to back in December. That wouldnt have mattered if it had been left to my parents, they would have lost their son. Money would just have been the icing on the cake.

20. reefer madness

reefer madness Account Closed

Free speech does not extend to private internet forums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.