suicide, easy way out?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Oceans, Sep 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oceans

Oceans Well-Known Member

what do others think? is suicide the easy way out? Not having to deal with the burden and issues of our life.

the problem with commiting suicide is there are no guarantees that the act will be "successful" and if it fails the individual has to live with the physical damage and continues with the psychological issues.

there is also the timing and moment, you got to be in a particular state.

i think either road is difficult, living you have to learn to cope with what feels unbearable and commiting suicide is no guarantee, then finding the courage to commit violence upon our own body, you might be worst off.

2. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

Depends from which angle you're looking at it, I suppose.

If you can't face life's problems anymore, then it could be perceived as ''the easy way out''. But it never is - the act of, as you say, committing violence on your own body is an incredibly hard thing to do, so ... from that perspective, no - it isn't easy...

3. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Both are just as difficult. But the need to commit suicide is one of the most personal and hardest decisions that an individual will have to face. I just wish that none of us here had to face the obstales that we do that draw us to the point that suicide has to become an option. To each and ever member struggling with these things at this moment, please remember that you are loved and cared about by the other members here. You may have given up on so many other things, but please never give up on love and hope. There is always tons of extra here for the taking at SF.

4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I don't think suicide is an easy way out. It must be incredibly hard to take your own life knowing that your family and friends will be extremely hurt and that they may never get over it. On the other hand, when you feel you can't cope anymore it does seem like only way out, not easy though.

5. Random

Random Well-Known Member

There are quite a few interesting angles to look at this from.

The first (in my book) is the fact that I don't believe in an afterlife. As an agnostic, I think it's possible but from all the evidence (or lack thereof) at hand, I just don't believe it.

So to me, those who say that it's "the easy way out" are talking nonsense. It isn't a way out. It's an act of sheer desperation. The person has been worn down (by whatever forces) to such an extent that all the uncertainty of death is far preferable to the sense of utter despair they feel about their future.

To me, that's remarkable. It takes a lot of courage to live but it takes far more courage to die. Whatever you believe. Whether you believe death is the absolute end or you believe that there's an afterlife of some kind, the amount of despair and pressure a person who actually goes through with suicide must feel must literally feel like the weight of the world.

It's also true that an attempt may not be successful. Anyone who's ever contemplated suicide knows that there's always that little bit of doubt. That one little bit of chance that it won't work. I doubt that anyone who makes a serious attempt has any desire to live as a vegetable. Which is a very real danger from many of the more deadly methods.

Even if I was entirely ready to end my life, I think I would be held back by that tiny bit of doubt.

Now this is interesting because the thing that would hold me back from committing suicide is exactly the same thing that's caused me so many problems in my life and ultimately, is the reason I am so depressed in the first place. I'm terminally indecisive. I simply can't make risky decisions. If there's the slightest doubt, I can't do it.

For instance, when making a major purchase, most people just take the chance that they might lose their job or something and not be able to pay for it. When I'm faced with such a decision, I just shut down. My mind won't let me do anything other than play it safe. I don't remember the last time I took a major risk. I can't do it.

So I think suicide does take courage. I know that's not the PC thing to say but it is true.

6. klodo

klodo Well-Known Member

I think the scariest thing is when suicide becomes the most logical option left.When everything else seem hopeless then death becomes a comfort.It certainly is not easy or a cowards way out though. Thats just the social stigma and our cultures reaction to it.The religious aspect of committing a sin is ridiculous. If God was so malevolent and thoughtless as to punish such desperate and sad people then he would be a bad as the devil anyway.

7. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

Suicide is never the most logical option, suicide defies all logic. Hope is never gone; someone, somewhere will be there willing to help you. Finding that person is the hard part, but it'll show up sometime. In many cases, the "person" takes the shape of a forum, like this one.

8. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I don't feel either is the easy way. Living through all those issues is so tough, but taking your life is too. It is definitely a catch 22.

9. Chernarus

Chernarus Well-Known Member

i have found suicide rather hard to do theres nothing easy about it basically if you die your real lucky. I dont see it as cowherds way out considering you have big enough balls to end your own life so theres nothing easy about it or cowherdly about it

10. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

I am seeing suicide as a cowards way out because people might have pushed you into the situation you are in

everytime I get comftorable in the thought of suicide, I see what people on the other side are like and I want to kill them

but why should I kill myself

I see my options now are kill myself or kill them

11. dixie27

dixie27 Member

If suicide were easy most of us wouldn't be here. That's a ridiculous thing to say. People who say that obviously have never been in our shoes.

I remember some arrogant know-it-all was talking bad about my man, Dr. Kevorkian. He said something to the effect that critically--even terminally--ill people who took their own lives were just taking the "easy way out."

I ask you...when someone is in terrible pain almost constantly, or their dignity gone, or all their resources are being decimated by medical care costs, or all of the above, what way does this SOB suggest? Dying the hard way??

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2008
  12. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Are those your only options? If it ever came down to me or them, it would be them.

13. touglytobeloved

touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

And then you go to jail and youll live with murders on your chest till you die. And this is worse than death.

14. Chernarus

well i'd hope you kill your self because hurting innocent would make ya a terrorist and i hate terrorists
    i know id take my life for i hurt innocents.

15. touglytobeloved

So, easy way out? NO, definitely NO.
    Way out? Definitely YES.
    I wish it was so easy... But, failure, after efects if you succeed, after effects if you fail...
    I guess, when there is nothing more to do, and we cant cope anymore with the pain, we choose this hard way out :sad:

16. touglytobeloved

Lets dont change the subject of this thread, please. I hope he will find another way out, none of those mentioned before.

17. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

who is talking about killing innocent people

18. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

The people he is talking about aren't innocent...they caused him a great deal of pain..although I don't think killing them is the solution.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2008
  19. Chernarus

not said but implied which to me is the same

20. purplefizz

purplefizz Senior Member

^ There is another way. You don't need to kill people, even if they are scum.

I do not think that suicide is the easy way. I get offended when people say that those who commit suicide are cowards. Can't they be remembered for something else? Can't their story be used to help others? Many people don't understand the kind of thoughts and feelings that bring a person to question their life like that.

I agree with what gentlelady said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.