Suicide Forum, could it make you more suicidal?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by pandamonium, Jul 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pandamonium

pandamonium Well-Known Member

Just a thought

Does spending a lot of time on Suicide Forum increase the amount of suicidal feelings and thoughts that you may have? I am interested in what people feel about this.
  2. reefer madness

reefer madness Account Closed

Doesn't make me feel any more suicidal.
  3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Good question :)

For me, it decreases the suicidal thoughts. Although,I do occasionaly come across some triggering threads that increase suicidal feelings.

I spend a lot of time here, and in that time I have felt much less suicidal than when before I joined. I hope that answers your question.
  4. radical__rachel

radical__rachel New Member

usually it makes me feel worse. mainly because it hurts to know i am even on a suicidel website.
  5. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

Its a mixed bag for me. On the one hand I do get triggered a lot, which increases the suidical thoughts. On the other hand, I feel like, when I can say something that helps another person in any way, that I have value, which decreases the suicidal thoughts. On the third hand, seeing how many others feel the same way that I do both saddens me, and also makes me feel not so alone and like a freak - so that's a mixed bag as well. I get depressed when I can't make something better for some people. I feel bad when I'm so into my own head that I can't do anything for anyone or even be there. So yeah, it's mixed.
  6. JustSam

JustSam Well-Known Member

idk, i've heard talking more and more about something isn't actually the way to fix it, but a way to make it worse, and even more of a staple in your life

but what do i know
    i sit on here every night
  7. confuzzle

confuzzle Well-Known Member

I would say yeah, at first it made me more suicidal.
    But now that i think about it, I don't think it was the forum persay that was worsening my feelings, but coming to grip with it. I won't even fool myself in saying that I even can come to grips, but its a work in process. Like others have said...

Increases Suicidal Thoughts
    Triggering Threads (yeah, I have gone to them when unstable, well can't change that now)
    The fact that so many people are hurting
    The fact that Im fucking here
    The ineptitude i feel in posting, but i continue because i think it might help, even in the smallest of ways

Decreases Suicidal Thoughts
    Im not alone
    People are very supportive, and there is always someone to talk to
    Expressing how I feel at least gets it out of my head
  8. pit

pit Well-Known Member

At first it did, but I'm hardly ever suicidal anymore. And that has to do with things I've done for myself over the years. Of course, this website is a big help. I like the fact that people can come on and talk about other things besides suicide, which is really a smart thing to do. If it was suicide only, a lot of people would feel worse. Like this guy here >:zombie:
  9. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

I think about it less seriously since I joined. I couldn't have made the positive changes that I have without the support here.
  10. WillST

WillST Active Member

I think it depends on the baseline you started from when you first came here.

For me personally, I was thinking about suicide incredibly frequently and was at my wits end. To learn I was not alone and that I could talk about it with someone initially helped decrease the frequency of those feelings.

However, I also feel that once you get to a certain point, the reverse may be true. That is to say, once you are feeling a bit better, the fact that you visit a suicide forum is only going to keep the idea relevant and current in your mind. Whereas if you moved away from suicide forum you may more easily forget about the idea altogether. Bearing in mind, you would need to be in a fairly good state of mind first before moving on.
  11. rojomi

rojomi Banned Member

naw-i could see how it might make others feel that way though. I used to care, but things have changed*. (*Bob Dylan from "Wonder Boys")
  12. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

I'm not suicidal but with regards to loneliness and depression I do feel far more relieved of both when I'm on here. I guess it helps seeing others relate, as well the distraction of just chatting and posting.
  13. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

It is almost always a helpful place to be... though sometimes if I am feeling good I can read a post that might start suicidal thinking again, so I am just careful. But it very very rarely makes things worse.
  14. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Not really. There are some people who make me depressed about how mean spirited people can be but those kinds of people are to be found on most forums.
  15. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

It's pretty mixed for me also. Sometimes someone will say something that triggers, other times it'll be just me thinking 'how is it there are so many of us suffering with this?' and that'll be what upsets me and makes me feel worse about things.
    But most of the time it's more helpful than anything.
  16. Neverhappyalwayssad

Neverhappyalwayssad Well-Known Member

Makes me a little less suicidal when I get on here. Wether its playing games in the arcade or having a debate in soap box or ranting on my feelings its really good at removing suicidal thoughts. Though I do read/listen/watch alot of things people put in reviews and usually its things that trigger me lol. So both?
  17. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I'd just like to add that nothing said on SF would ever be enough to cause me to actually do it. Real life is what depresses me the most. This is part of my escape.
  18. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

I take the AA aproach to SF.

That is to say, that we gain strength and hope from each other by sharing our experiences and trying to help each other.
  19. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

Sf has helped me out a lot. it has actually decreased my suicidal thoughts.
  20. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

SF actually save my life.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.