Suicide Forum Dating??

Status
Not open for further replies.

wibble

Personally I think its a great idea and something I'd actively encourage.

I don't believe it is something to be encouraged by setting up a place on the forum to do that. There are simply too many risks involved. What a better place for a predator to look than a place where vulnerable people are looking for acceptance.
There are ways round it though.

1: have a minimum post count to qualify, say, 200, just pulling a figure out of my arse. That way it demonstrates a post history and yadda yadda yadda...

2: Effective moderation. Necessitate people who are using the facility to actually divulge some personal information to the admins to provide verification. For example, adresses and such can be verified in the UK on sites like 192.com and so on.

3: Dont make the subforum acessable, or even viewable to guests. Make it viewable to people when they hit the postcount target.

4: Stricter warnings/disciplinary measures for people abusing the facility.

5: Give it a dedicated moderator.

6: Enforce an 18+ madatory thing on the website for the sake of child protection and all such.

I know its not fool proof, but that would go some way to limiting abuse.

Anju

Ermm....pairing up depressed people rarely ends well...and I agree, this is a suicide forum, not a dating one...stick to one purpose...

J

Just a Person

Ermm....pairing up depressed people rarely ends well...and I agree, this is a suicide forum, not a dating one...stick to one purpose...
Well, it depends. It can work well because the other person will have a better understanding of how you are feeling and how to help. But on the other hand, if two people are both unstable then there is no stability or support for each other.

I talk from experience, and yes it can work. But other factors got in the way; but maybe if those factors (age, personal problems) were not there or were overcome, I might of been still in that relationship.

It can get complicated, but its not impossible for it to work out.

On the subject of adding a category to the forum, I don't think we should. If two people meet on here then that's good. But it should be done in private and this site is to help people not really to find "love".
People come here because they feel unstable within themselves, so let them take the time to recover and find their on way. And if they happen to get on really well with someone and they can help them out of that dark place, then that's all good.

Personally I think its a great idea and something I'd actively encourage.

There are ways round it though.

1: have a minimum post count to qualify, say, 200, just pulling a figure out of my arse. That way it demonstrates a post history and yadda yadda yadda...

2: Effective moderation. Necessitate people who are using the facility to actually divulge some personal information to the admins to provide verification. For example, adresses and such can be verified in the UK on sites like 192.com and so on.

3: Dont make the subforum acessable, or even viewable to guests. Make it viewable to people when they hit the postcount target.

4: Stricter warnings/disciplinary measures for people abusing the facility.

5: Give it a dedicated moderator.

6: Enforce an 18+ madatory thing on the website for the sake of child protection and all such.

I know its not fool proof, but that would go some way to limiting abuse.
That's actually a pretty good idea. :nice:
But then again I'm single and maybe a little biased, as I'd love to meet someone but don't think I'd feel comfortable dating somebody 'normal'.
Okay, did I just use the word 'normal'. lol

haha, its an absolutely awful idea in every sense of the word, and thank god staff seems to agree with that.

there isnt a set of circumstances that could ever make having a dating section on a suicide site a good idea. lets face it, we wouldnt be here if we werent fucked in the head, and most are desperate enough for attention as it is. no amount of modding would make up for the fact that youd be both actively enabling and actively encouraging dating between members of a crisis forum. in the case of any tragedy, the site itself could (and should) be held accountable for acting so irresponsibly.

everyone knows that a disproportionate amount of people on this site date eachother when compared to any other forum setting, and we all know why. its not coincidence in the least, and i hope no one needs the reasoning behing that statement explained to them. this site does a good job of skirting accountability by not openly encouraging it, and accountability is the real issue.

SadDude87

Not something I'd go for but not an awful idea by any stretch.

People would just have to be matched up correctly. If you have an angry, volatile depressed person with a shy, anxious one it wouldn't work.

But 2 people feeling really down, just lying there holding each other would be an amazing feeling.

Am i realy reading this right?

theres some objective posts here, and even though i am in a relationship that was concieved here doesnt mean i would activly encourage it.

I think maybe forming a circle of friends in relativly close proximity to one another would be a better idea,

but lets keep it like kayaking shall we,,,,,

no less than three should there be.

safty should be paramount.

justafool

I would like there to be a place here for people to meet who have romantic aspirations.

I don't think it would need to be more heavily moderated than any other forum.

However, a minimum post count of perhaps 100 would be helpful. And no guest could view it.

R O M A N C E !

:love:

Mikeintx

Well there is a reason why they frown apon people in psych wards meeting up after they are released... two people in unstable situations do not make a good foundation for a romantic relationship... while friendship can be good to help people recover, anything more than that is a bad idea.

Winslow

My Toughest Problem Has Been Solved.
SF Supporter
The matchmaking idea is good, and I support it, but it must be emphasized that there be NO sex. Follow Mr. Spock's example, that is, the Vulcan Mr. Spock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00