Suicide Help Lines - Anyone use them?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Will, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Will

Will Staff Alumni

Today I was actually curious because I've seen a few times about those suicide lines. I don't really want to call them myself, because it seems like they'd do something, maybe trace the line and like send cops or something. Or maybe not. I just wondered if anyone's used them before?

I somewhat predict them to just 'keep you on the line' until someone gets there in person.

More so...if they're really supposed to talk to you, and help you, that must be a hard job. Sometimes makes me think on how they take it if the worst happens on the ine :( .
  2. Blank with Empty

Blank with Empty Well-Known Member

never used 1 myself and prolly wont help through a phone prolly isn't going to help cure whats wrong with me
  3. music_addict

music_addict Well-Known Member

I think the rule with them is that if you are suicidal but not right on the verge of actually doing it then they wont track you. But if you tell them your seconds from the pulling the trigger or whatever then i think they do send someone to your home. At least thats what ive heard from various sources.
    Ive also been tempted to call one, but im also worried about being tracked.
    But, honsetly, if you really feel like you need to talk to someone, then you should do it regardless. I mean, having the cops show up at your door is still better than actually going through with it, you know?
    and, ive also wondered about the emotional toll on those people. It does have to be hard to literally be the last person to talk to someone before they go. I dont think i could do it, it would just depress me more.
  4. Blackness

Blackness Guest

ive called one before.
    They are shit
    they dont care about you
    i think if you want to vent and just have someone say "oh ok, yep" every 5 seconds then do it
    apart from that they are shit.

from my experience anyway...!
  5. mb75

mb75 Well-Known Member

I agree with blackness .... the one I called didn't offer support whatsoever .... you ctually end up getting angry just by hearing the other person on the likes say "ok, I hear you, ok, yes, ok" and who knows if they are really listening and not doing their nails or reading a magazine or something on the other side.
    Maybe other people have had different experiences and better ones, but I didnt.
    You can still try if you feel you really need to do so.
  6. danni

danni Chat Buddy

I have i use and you can chat or call or be put on the radio and ppl help you out.
  7. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

I have only ever used The Samaritans. Ther weren't a lot of good if you were looking for support, howvere if you just wanted to talk about things and have someone listen then they were good :)
  8. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

Intruiging, as I'm going to hopefully volunteer for the Samaritans..

I hope to be a bit better than what you've all found them to be, but then again, support lines are many a bit of a wrong term to call them.. Seeing as they don't actually know you, how can they truly offer you support? I think the main purpose of them is to have someone to talk to..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.