Suicide Hotline advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent1

Anyone ever call a suicide hotline? id like to hear your good and bad experiences with them. i need to talk to someone and just cry it all out and say every single detail, but im afraid there gonna call the cops if i get to into detail on hurting myself or a other. i dont wanna call and end up in jail or a mental hospital.

caliban

I've called them a few times. Basically they try to break down your immediate problems in a clairvoyant and objective way so you aren't worrying or as clusterfucked by suicidal depression. They help you guide that out of that. I've had very good experiences with them actually.

Addiction hotlines are a different story though. Addiction hotlines are terrible.

jimk

Staff Alumni
Silent1 have called the crisis line many times while in trouble over the years.. if they think you are going to kill yourself , they will take action.. ambulance and cops will come knocking at your door very soon in that case..

personally i find that very good.. it is ok to be really down with them on phone just as long as they do not think it is not urgent and dangerous for you.. these people have heard just about everything from every one.. most of them are volunteers adn are there just to help the ppl that call there..

do not joke around saying you are going to off yourself with them unless it is the truth.. ok just to call wanting to talk to someone just cause you are in the p;its and feeling terrible.. nowadays i have a few wonderful ladies lynn, debbie and lynn 2 on my local crisis line that i ahve known and know me very well that i talk to about once a week just to have a friendly nice person on the other end.. that is fine with them for me to call..

Silent1 if you in usa calling 1-800-273-TALK will get your call routed to local crisis line in your area.. if you not in usa googling will probably get you the crisis numbers in your location..

take care out there.. Jim

Speedy

Staff Alumni
I am so pleased to hear about some of these (mostly) positive experiences with suicide hotlines. I've never tried calling one before, so this makes me feel hopeful if I ever look into it and consider calling. Thanks so much for sharing.

if you in usa calling 1-800-273-TALK will get your call routed to local crisis line in your area.. if you not in usa googling will probably get you the crisis numbers in your location..
Edit: I just saw this. Wow, good information to know, Jim. :wtg: Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

1Lefty

SF Supporter
Anyone know about the whole calling the cops thing?
I can confirm that on my recent attempt, they called back the next day as a followup (possibly a distraction) and the cops showed up while I was still on the line. I think if you have the intention and means to harm yourself or others (at least the hotline I called), they call the police.

I can confirm that on my recent attempt, they called back the next day as a followup (possibly a distraction) and the cops showed up while I was still on the line. I think if you have the intention and means to harm yourself or others (at least the hotline I called), they call the police.
Yeah i used an internet chat and even though my plan wasn't for a few weeks they called the cops who traced my IP address to my house through contacting my ISP. A week later chat logs were passed onto my team, who then admitted me to hospital...sucks at the time, but in their eyes they were doing the right thing as they were trained to do.

If you look into most hotlines policy..they call the cops if they believe you have the means to act out on your plan, if you are thinking irrationally or if you are in immediate danger/already done something.

randomguy9

Put's the "Pro" in Profanity
I called once... after figureing out how to delte call history form my cell.

I dint like how they wanted my last name but i refused to give it... not like they couldn't trace the phone if they wanted anyway.

The woman was understanding and tried to calm me down, faked concern when it was one of those things that she didnt understand why it brought me to crisis (I can read tones of voices sometimes)... it was clear but she talked me through it anyway.

It got me through that week... t

dont call from a home phone or a cell phone in your name; or a family members name

use a pay phone if possible

block your number if you can

DO NOT TELL THEM YOUR NAME

-- if you go ahead and search the web you will see that these hotlines make a habit out of calling 911 on people who literally never mentioned suicide once. you need to be careful;

They will contact emergency services if they believe you are going to go through with it, but most of the time they listen, then try to talk you into going on to the hospital on your own, or will give you listings for mental health clinics in your area... at least from my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00