suicide hotlines - there to help?!

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Smashed__, Jul 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smashed__

Smashed__ Well-Known Member

When you think you can't feel any lower in life, be sure to call 1.800.SUICIDE !!
    They have a great way of making you feel tiny and wanting to SH in under five minutes. :sad:

I've called twice since joining this forum in 2006, I will never call another hotline again.

The first was in the middle of the night, huddled in the corner of my bathroom shaking. I was about to crack and said 'maybe they would..understand? care?' I was all quiet and I'm sure not making much sense but I only paused to keep from crying and was hung up on. I had a major break down(2nd biggest) that night after he hung up. I was out of my mind and don't even remember all of it.

The second time was yesterday morning. I remembered someone in chat talking about how they helped them find 'help' for free in their area. I was calm. I didn't feel too bad or low so I got up the courage to call. I asked for help and got a guy that sounded robotic. It was like the life was sucked out of him, and once again he made me feel like I was a waste of time. He didn't help me find counsel or therapy. When I tried talking with him about my issues and how I feel his voice and attitude changed to disgust. I got off the phone and broke into tears, Its been ages since I felt so tiny! so.. worthless.

I just don't unerstand how these people help others.. how they could be helping anyone.
  2. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

that's awful, you'd think that they would have a better screening system in place. me, i've used the hotline here in ireland and it was pretty good. i'm sorry your experience was the opposite.
  3. hare

hare Active Member

that's awful. i've always been too scared to phone a suicide hotline. the idea of crying to a stranger on the phone makes me uncomfortable. i guess it varies from hotline to hotline though. the one you phoned sounds ridiculous. they're not supposed to make you feel worse! they're supposed to give full, undivided attention to people in crisis.
  4. Dead Alive

Dead Alive Active Member

1800-new-life helped me. Crisis lines are a dime a dozen. New life really cared and influenced me to stay alive... even if it was another day. Plus they even called me back every day for a week, just to make sure I was ok. They didnt know where I lived, but they had my cell phone number.

Make sure you call a crisis line away from your home phone. If they call the cops, you want to make sure they can not trace the line to your house. I learned this the hard way.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.