Suicide (illness or sin)

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Anonymous2, Nov 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous2

Anonymous2 Well-Known Member

A desire to commit suicide is often considered an illnesses, and deaths from illnesses are not considered sins.

One dies from caner due to an uncontrollable overgrowth of cancerous cells. One dies from suicide due to an uncontrollable desire to kill oneself. Both are uncontrollable, and both are caused by an individual dysfunction. One is a dysfunction of the body, while the other is a dysfunction of the mind. Both of these dysfunctions are not chosen.

If someone dies from cancer because the treatments were ineffective or not found soon enough, we would, rightfully, state that they did NOT die because they were weak or sinful. We would state that it was "natural" and, if religious, we may even state that the death was God's will. God needed or wanted that person in Heaven.

Millions also die from suicide because the treatments are ineffective or not found soon enough. Perhaps such deaths are also natural. Perhaps when people die from a psychological dysfunction it is because God willed it. Perhaps God gave that individual those feelings, an inability to change those feelings, and an opportunity to commit the act because God needed or wanted that person in Heaven.

Whilst true that God (if their is a God) gives us free will, we do not freely choose to have psychological dysfunctions no more than we choose to have physical dysfunctions.

No one just gets up one day and decides .. you know what, I don't think I want to enjoy the beauty of life anymore. Instead, I want to feel so hopeless about life that I will place a large caliber weapon in my mouth and leave the back of my skull on the wall behind me. It's not a decision, but rather a natural result that comes when treatment for a specific psychological dysfunction is not found or ineffective. In other words, it is a result that would occur in any individual if given the same innate emotional composition and situation as the suicide victim.

If a physical illness treatment is ineffective or not found in time, they may die, and we will not consider them a sinner if they do die. If a psychological illness treatment is ineffective or not found in time, they may die, and we should not consider them a sinner if they do die.

What do you-all think?

2. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

Ditto....
    but every attempt should be made to find an effective treatment before the person takes their life because of the pain and grief that is specific to suicide alone...
    I have lost someone to suicide and it leaves a unique loss that cancer, old age, etc. can never compare with..

3. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

interesting take from a religious point of view, since im not religious i just discard the notion of sin but i would be interested to know what someone who is religious would think about what you said...

4. Krem

Krem Well-Known Member

This comes from the notion that people can just "will it off", and thus they could've not commited suicide; a notion that is still around. People often think that depression is just feeling a bit sad, and can't imagine how that could lead to suicide. Doctors back then when the bible was written had no idea that chemical imbalance in the brain can cause depression, and reasoned, perhaps rightly, that actual depression didn't exist- People could just shrug it off and move on, and thus showing weakness in not doing so (As with many other sins where it's about willpower) was a sin; you are removing a member of the community and causing grief.

However, a loophole is known; exceedingly dangerous hobbies. Cycling on a unicycle on a rope over a bottomless pit, for an example, is not suicide; if you fall, it was an accident. :)

5. feathers

feathers Well-Known Member

I lol'd at this. :D

6. Entoloma43

Entoloma43 Well-Known Member

Whether an action is suicide or not is dependent upon intent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.