Suicide in C Sharp (SI-related trigger)

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by aoeu, Feb 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

2. corang

corang Well-Known Member

Things like that are part of the reason suicide has become a joke to some people.

3. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

Jesus christ. I don't know about you guys, but I actually think I took offense to that. What if someone suicidal happend to see what ever this was? That very clip was the way I intended on doing 'it' and to me it just seems to mock you. I know it's ment to be a joke and all but...come on I think it's a tad over the top.

4. Landlocked blues

Landlocked blues Well-Known Member

i cant begin to describe how offensive i find this!! I agree tho, suicide has just become a joke to some people.

5. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

jesus christ... erhm needs a trigger warning on it... I agree wtf

6. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

7. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

omg I just couldnt watch it all...that is dissgusting..and the people are laughing to this??? wow...there are people worse than us in the world...

8. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

I find the best way to watch stuff like this, with acts of magic illusion, to turn the volume off, and take it in that way. And this is not funny or entertaining at all. My curiosity of how they do it is squashed by the blunt subject matter. Maybe that's because Im what I am, but when I checked it out on youtube, there's alot of people thinking the same thing.

9. Shattered Soldier

Shattered Soldier Well-Known Member

I just don't think its funny or creative enough to risk the offense it could generate. I could see taking that kind of risk if you had something fresh and hilarious up your sleeve, but the video was mediocre at best. If somebody is going to have a laugh at my expense, it better be a really good joke!

10. alison

alison Well-Known Member

wow...

11. innocencexisxlove

innocencexisxlove Well-Known Member

that is so offensive.. I.. i'm speechless..

12. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

I wasn't offended by it, I thought it was crap and not very entertaining at all. No imagination has gone into this trick.

13. 41021

41021 Banned Member

oh fuck
    teach me.

deep breath.
    dizzy
    hell
    ok.
    not used to watching videos so took me a minute to get stopped...did not make it very far.

teach me a lesson, huh? been just hanging about the forums. can't write or talk so just reading. i didn't notice the trigger thingy and i'm still not used to associating SI to self injury and what all that means.

okay. so that's what i think about it. still dizzy. bit shook up.

14. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

I'm not offended by it, though I'm not suicidal nor have I ever been. I'm sure I'd relate with the general reaction if I were.

I guess it comes down to most people simply not sympathizing with, let alone understanding, what suicide is like. It's the same way people trivialize things like the Holocaust or rape. Only when they truly understand do they appreciate the gravity of it.

15. the fleet asleep

the fleet asleep Well-Known Member

This is offensive? Really?

There is a monsterous difference between doing a satire piece on suicide and trivializing the Holocaust. This is no worse than the Dave Chappelle's Tyrone Biggums sketch (well, almost all of his sketches), Cheech and Chong's early movies, Firemarshall Bill, and many SNL skits. Its no more offensive the the comedic stylings of Katt Williams, Lewis Black, or George Carlin. It's no more offensive than any satire on any self afflicted stereotype made in good humor. Comparing this to satiring the Holocaust would in itself does nothing but trivialize the Holocaust, theyre miles and miles apart.

And you know what? Im offended by the people playing into the depressed suicidal stereotype by acting outraged by something so harmless. I spend a lot of my time trying to shake off the stereotype that every suicidal person is easily offended by any unsympathetic interpretation of their "affliction", and threads like this only serve to erode away my hope that having suicidal thoughts wont immediately get me lumped in with these kinds of people. A little humility goes a long way, and if you are so far gone that youd rather play into what you feel rather than have the occasional joke at its expense, then youre doomed to stay that way forever. In the meantime, youre actually making it harder on the rest of us by making us all look like we cant handle even the lamest of jokes without getting up in arms.

16. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Cancer, oddly, is considered taboo by most "comedians" other than those who try to offend - but psychiatric illnesses aren't taken seriously at all by anyone not directly affected. Somehow this is appropriate to most, that an entire class of diseases is the butt of jokes. We ought to get outraged, because this hurts us directly. Serious depression and other mental health disorders are widely underreported because of shit like this, so people have to suffer because of this sort of "humour".

Over 1 million people commit suicide every year. 10-20 million people make attempts. In a decade as many people die from suicide as during the Holocaust. Why aren't these comparable evils?

17. 41021

41021 Banned Member

well for me, i just don't do blood. joking, teasing, or real. i gag. i have to deal with it periodically around here and it just grosses me out. can't do hospital shows either where they show cutting into ppl. gags me.

18. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

My comparison was meant to highlight the fact that satire, farce, and trialization - which all reduce the seriousness of their subjects to some degree, regardless of intention - can befall any and every subject. And generally, it's people who are farther away from those subjects that embark on such activities.

As I said, I didn't take offense, I was merely trying to frame the viewpoint of those that did, so as to understand why. In fact, I agree with your point to a degree.

19. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

offensive as all hell

20. cownes

cownes Well-Known Member

people think that we need to see therapists etc, i think maybe the people who made that video need to!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.