Suicide in dreams?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Mortal Moon, Nov 1, 2009.

?

Do you ever dream about killing yourself?

1. Yes.

20 vote(s)
    64.5%
  2. No.

11 vote(s)
    35.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

I've always dreamed extremely vividly, and recently I've found myself often committing suicide in my dreams. I've noticed two recurring elements permeating these dreams: (1) the method used is never one that's painful or violent, and usually it's not even very realistic; and (2) I'm never alone when it happens. In other words, it's definitely a form of wish fulfillment: I've made a suicide pact with another person, someone with whom I share a deep and spiritual friendship, and we die a peaceful, happy death in each other's arms.

Do you ever commit suicide in your dreams? What is the experience like for you? How does it make you feel- happy, sad, afraid, or something else?

:sleepy: (Pikachu demands to know)

2. AlexDanish

AlexDanish Account Closed

It was really recently. I was surrounded by zombies in my house, and I had two guns. One was a rifle, and one was a handgun. I tried to shoot through the windows with the rifle, and then it ran out of ammo so I switche to the handgun. As it turned out, I only had one clip of each and had to feed bullets manually into the magazine. After misfiring one, I was surrounded by the door by a couple of zombies. I struggled to load one bullet into the pisol, and luckily, right before I was surrounded I put it into my mouth and shot.

The weirdest aspect is, it went completely dark. And then words appeared like a video game. Good Job! And then I woke up.

It was weird. It felt like I really did just shoot myself in the head. Dreams are scary realistic. The bullet and gun felt real and vivid, and when I shot myself and it went completely blank, it was like I was semi concious (in the dream) and it felt like I really just killed myself, or it felt like how I imagine it would feel to kill yourself using a gun.

It's fascinating to me...

3. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

Wow this is a really interesting question Jonathan, I've never even thought about this before!

4. raincloud

raincloud Well-Known Member

Whoa, so weird that I just saw this. I never had suicide dreams until a couple of nights ago. I dreamed that I was running and running and running through a mountainous desert and then I reached a cliff and I jumped. I think that I was chasing a horse but then I gave up or something but don't really remember. It made me pretty uncomfortable, especially during the brief second I remember realizing what I had done.

5. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

I once dreamed that I slid down a rock into a lagoon, and came up stuck underneath another rock and started to drown but was very relaxed about it and didn't care.

6. Tim.

Tim. SF Emoti-King

Good question.

I don't dream too often and don't remember my dreams when I do.

I know that anything of shock like that wakes me up from my sleep, often to me banging my head or falling off my bed.

But I think it's generally more of a conscious/day-dream thing for me. If I'm in a situation where there is a potential way to end it, I will find myself imagining it.

So sleep and dreaming are usually a relatively positive escape compared with being awake.

7. Reki

Reki Well-Known Member

That's actually a pretty interesting question, Jonathan. There was a dream I had a while back that I'd forgotten completely until I read your post. I don't remember the details exactly but I remember I was supposed to drown. I remember swimming out into the ocean and squeezing a talisman I had brought and it caused me to sink.

I remember being terrified at first, drowning has never been one of the ways I wanted to go, and as I sank further it got darker until everything went out and I hit the bottom. It's hard to recall the feeling, it was really peaceful. It was strange because I didn't particularly want to die. It didn't feel as much like death as it did the end. Maybe that sounds strange but I've always liked complete endings, not because things are over but because you've reached the end of the journey and it feels like everything is how it should be. Like you finally found everything.

I guess the short answer to your question is it made me feel relaxed. There are so many things to worry about in real life. It felt nice to just let all my worries go. Actually drowning wouldn't be such a pleasant experience I'm sure but as far as dreams go, I enjoyed it.

8. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I said no.. My dreamsa are pretty gorey sometimes but never me commiting.. Some of my dreams are supernatural.. Probably because I like to watch chillers on TV..

9. *sparkle*

*sparkle* Staff Alumni

i get all sorts of weird and horrible dreams :( but not of suicide really

10. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

Wow! Thanks for all your answers. Sounds like our experiences are quite varied.

For me, the dreams are usually accompanied by very positive feelings. I think that, more than anything, this is due to the fact that there's always a second person with me. Dying alone is cold and frightening and painful... but if someone else dies with you, it's a whole different feeling. Instead of being one person who has nothing, you are two people who have each other; two souls, united by their worldly pain and weariness, on a journey together to find out what lies beyond. It's very comforting.

I might start another thread on that topic, since it's an important one for me. For now, keep posting your stories! I've always been fascinated by the world of dreams... and as the waking world becomes more and more unpleasant every day, that fascination just intensifies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.