Suicide is an addiction.

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Jack Rabbit, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Rabbit

Jack Rabbit Well-Known Member

I have a theory - well, I have lots of theories. But in particular, I find that thinking about suicide is addictive. I'm not suicidal right now, I don't feel vulnerable or in danger, but I can't stop thinking about it. It's like having a tooth pulled and your tongue keeps going back to the hole.
    So, what is the fascination? Is it just that suicide is the ultimate control and I need that feeling of control over my life? That seems too simple for the complex feelings that buzz around this knot of cognition.
  2. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

I agree.

Suicide ideation can be used as a stress reliever. That's why I'm a firm believer in the power of cognitive behavioral therapy. It used to be that the medical world believed that thoughts and action were dictated by emotion, but now it's been proven that one of the best ways to change an emotion is by changing your actions and thought pattern.

Instead of wallowing in your depressive emotion, challenge them. Say, "why do I feel bad?" When you get your answer, ask, "why?" And don't be afraid to acknowledge that your reason makes no sense.
  3. Advent

Advent Well-Known Member

Yes Jack Rabbit, i think you are correct. For me at least the very idea of suicide is quite a comfort, in that it seems to be the only thing I have ultimate control over and makes me feel somehow powerful. There are so many things outside of my control that at least I have one thing left.

As for CBT, well again for me at least I found it did not work. I have had two separate programs in different parts of the country and although they have some good ideas, they only focus on the present and future, for those of us with deep issues with our past ( and I think thats quite a lot of us) CBT does not address those at all, even when I had my second interview as it were for the second program, i was told that this will NOT go into your past or deal with whatever is causing the issue this simply is a method of coping with it.

I am not saying CBT does not work, as reading stuff here plainly see`s that it does for some folks.

Anyway I await the day for someone/something that can help, in the meantime I have the comfort of suicide.
  4. mike25

mike25 Well-Known Member

I suppose suicide ideation is a valid excuse within the individuals mind for throwing the towel in with the challenges of daily life. If the person is capable of challenging those thoughts and probing the reasons behind them, it can often be the catalyst for making them a more civilized person (more sensitive to others, caring, less materialistic, etc).
    I think suicide ideation can comfort some people to an extent because it somewhat relieves the pressure valves of money making, bills, career, family, studies, etc etc... that kinda stuff pales into the background if one contemplates the finality of death. In my experience, there's a recurring idea of suicide because of languishing in relatively static circumstances that don't entirely fulfil the needs of an averagely healthy human person e.g social r'ships, new experiences, employment/training. New dawns tend to be short lived despite best efforts, and that begins wearing even the most determined individual down.
    Addictions can be weaned. The road is long.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2009
  5. Entoloma43

Entoloma43 Well-Known Member

The thought of suicide is a powerful solace: by means of it one gets through many a bad night. --- Friedrich Nietzsche
  6. bleach

bleach Well-Known Member

The act of suicide is a powerful solace. By means of it one gets through a bad life.
  7. Jack Rabbit

It's weird, but I don't feel that life is bad. Life has been very good to me. I have a wife who loves me; whom I love. I'm not hungry, not cold, not thirsty.
    But... ineffably something is wrong. I just can't blame anything outside myself. Oh, bad things have happened; I have encountered true evil.
    But, as Cassius said, "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
    But in ourselves, that we are underlings."
  8. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Yeah it can definitely be an addiction! Like anything else.
    I haven't come across anyone who is completely 100% satisfied with life. I think most people feel like there is always something missing.
    Maybe we are just more in tune with that. The fact that we are alone on this earth. So suicidal thinking is almost like a heightened awareness that we are alone. And this awareness is the first step to leading an actually fulfilling life, rather than the auto-pilot life lived by most everyone.
  9. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I don't know that I'd call it an addiction so much as I'd call it a way of life. I think that the idea that I have an "easy out" (That is, easier than suffering for however many more years) can be soothing to think about when I'm really stressed out. That is until I really get into the particulars of it and start thinking about how to do it and the fact that it's extremely difficult to come up with a method that is 100% certain without just being so damn unpleasant that it makes living seem like fun.

In the end, thinking about suicide just makes me more depressed and more stressed out because I know I can't do it.
  10. Jack Rabbit

I always hated Nietzche..
  11. Jack Rabbit

Very interesting conversation, thank you all. I actually thought I was alone in this belief. But feeling alone is kind of central to suicide... So thanks in another way too. I feel sad, but happy.
  12. Roadwarrior

Roadwarrior Member

I can agree with that to a degree.

I say I'm not suicidal but I think about it often; I plan how to accomplice the task. It does seem to be some sort of "safe house for the mind." I'd like to believe that it renders me some sort of control over the burdens and pains of life. It does let me think I am in control of things, that there is one place I can proceed upon a new adventure, leaving the mistakes and problems behind. The methods I devise are painless and clean, not messy.

It used to be that sailing was the medicine for me but I've grown too weak and old to safely do this any more.

I'm new to this forum by the way :)

Nice to meet all of you.
  13. Roadwarrior

Roadwarrior Member

"Feeling alone is kind of central to suicide...." ~ Jack Rabbit.

How utterly interesting. I do feel alone in some respects but sometimes I feel as if there were others on the other side whispering to me that it is alright, there are no limits in eternity, it's alright.

Then again, we are not alone in here, in this forum. There is a kinship here that can only be found because of the Internet, something suicidal personalities didn't have in the past.

I guess my question is: can some suicides be rationalized?
  14. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Sometimes people hate the truth so much they throw rotten eggs at anyone who speaks it. Dislike or disagreement? I can understand that. Hate? That runs much deeper.
  15. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Sometimes people hate the truth so much they throw rotten eggs at anyone who speaks it. Dislike or disagreement? I can understand that. Hate? That runs much deeper. Hate is usually very closely connected to pain.
  16. Jack Rabbit

Random, sorry you can't sail anymore. I am a sailor myself. Anytime you want to talk sailing, grab me. :cool:
    On Nietzche... perhaps you would like 'detest' better. I suppose a lot of ppl here might like his take on tragedy, but I find his overall philosophy anathema. I think that his nihilism, his concepts of power, his ubermensch are anti-individual, anti-human. His philosophy is encompassed in the mass of beliefs that I fight vehemently against in my struggle to keep myself alive. But hate in the sense of the man? I suppose not. He was mentally ill more than evil, so more properly, I hate Nietzcheism. :wink:
  17. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I don't know. I've never been sailing and don't know what you're talking about.

Anyway, I've never studied philosophy in any detail but you don't have to love Nietzsche or agree with everything he believed in order to admit he had some good points.

Anyway, sorry about the double post. That was supposed to be an edit. I have no clue what the hell happened.
  18. Jack Rabbit

Tis wierd. Seems like my posts got mixed up, too. Oh well. The whole school of German philosophers went off in the wrong direction. Kant, Nietzche, Hegel, etc. built an elaborate structure to deny the individual. Some people here might actually like that, but they never established a foundation for their arguments. Their premises are at best murky, at worst non-existent.
    Anyway, I don't have to admit they had a point at all.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.