Suicide is Selfish

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Xaos, Dec 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

Or so they say... but is it really any more selfish than keeping someone alive and suffering because somebody else doesn't want them to die?

Fair enough, some people heal, but what about those who have tried all methods of help available and have been suffering for years, should they have to continue suffering because of someone elses desire to keep them alive?

I hate that so many advocates for the legalisation of pain free, safe, reliable, assisted suicide, only advocate it for people with "physical problems" when it is understood that "mental problems" also stem from a physical source, ie, chemicals in the brain... hate, hate, hate!

Anyway, this topic has probably been brought up before, but there's new members now, and I don't recall ever taking part in a thread about it, so...

2. Donnanobispacem

Donnanobispacem Well-Known Member

I don't have any strong opinions on the subject except for people with young children probably should hang in there for their kids, who might blame themselves. Suicide is the number one cause of violent death in the world, more than all the homicides and wars added together...I'm not sure this is the right place for a debate on it though. WHO set a goal of reducing suicide globally by 10 % by 2020 http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2014/suicide-prevention-report/en/

3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I once had this conversation with my doctor. She knew someone who went to I think is called dignitas? (they were terminally ill and in pain) the swiss suicide clinic, to date it has assisted in more than 1000 deaths.It was big in the news for some reason at the time, the reason we were talking about it is I was depressed and said just leave me die, she said I would never be accepted (my depression is gone so I'm so glad I never had the choice) because they do not accept the mentally ill because they may not be able to make such obviously life changing/ending decisions through their illnesses. That was what she said. I still have not made my mind up on this one, more research needs doing before I will say how I feel about it.

4. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

This topic has been covered many many times before and more importantly the topic of euthanasia for any reason basically leaves people arguing and putting up messages that are pro suicide. Since this is in fact a prolife site designed for support - either for members to get support trying to get better or to offer support to those members and this discussion does neither this thread is being closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.