Suicide - It's not just you you're gonna kill.

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Firelord, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Firelord

Firelord Active Member

It hasn't even been a week since I joined, but for the past few days I've got to know and talk to somebody that I've grown to really like and care for. She's a girl in her mid to late teens with a great singing voice, an ability to understand music and a heart big enough that she is willing to risk own personal depression and flashbacks just to help others.

Last night after talking with her for hours, I went to bed confident that she was going to be okay in the morning. I was wrong. Through attempted suicide, friends of hers have driven her deeper into depression, making her feel like the only way better is to go the same route.

Now this is the main problem with suicide. This is the big picture that a lot of people don't get. The fact of the matter is that depression spreads like wildfire when you do this. It hooks into others, sinks it's claws into them and drags them down as well. Whatever problems they have are multiplied many times over because of the loss of a friend, or somebody they know. This is not a little effect, this is a very large effect you have on other people when you go. Those already depressed will be driven deeper and very often because of what you've done, they will feel like they have to do the same.

There is a phrase out there that goes, "Suicide is not a victimless crime." That is the pure honest truth. You kill yourself, chances are you are not going to go alone. You hurt yourself, you actually do that, then others are going to do it as well. And why the hell are you considering suicide 9/10? I understand that there are some real seriously depressed people, who have gone through a shit load of crap and I know it's hard, I really do. But killing yourself, ending your life is never the answer. It's not just the wrong answer, but because of the effects it has on other people it is plain wrong to do.

What is worse, is if you broadcast it, make it an event. I'm not going to name names, but a few nights ago in the chat some kid came in and dictated that he was going to kill himself in the chat room. In front of a bunch of plenty of likely emotionally unstable and wounded people, he did that. And you know what.

WHAT THE FUCK!!! WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE!!! AM I THE ONLY ONE THAT HAS A PROBLEM WITH THIS?!!?? I MEAN IT'S LIKE A SICKO THAT HAS TO TAKE PEOPLE WITH HIM WHEN HE KILLS HIMSELF!!! HE COMES IN LOOKING FOR PEOPLE TO WATCH AND DRAG DOWN WITH HIM!!! YOU'RE NOT JUST TAKING YOURSELF, YOU'RE KILLING OTHER PEOPLE!!!

AND FURTHERMORE, DON'T FUCKING LIE TO YOURSELF BY GOING, "OH, YOU'LL GET OVER IT." GET OVER IT!!! YOU'RE FUCKING OFFING YOURSELF IN FRONT OF PEOPLE THAT ALREADY ARE SERIOUSLY DEPRESSED, ON THE EDGE AND ARE HURT!!! NO, WHY DON'T YOU GET OVER IT!! I'M FUCKING SERIOUS, GROW SOME FREAKING BALLS AND FACE YOUR WORRIES AND FEARS!!!

Maybe that's what needs to happen more on, maybe we need to stop being soft and cuddly and treating people like kids. Maybe we need to fucking take them by the balls and tell them what the fuck the deal is. Nail it in like a drill sergeant, get them paying attention and get them to listen. There is no reason, no reason whatsoever that you should throw away your life like that. It ain't ending anything at all. What it is doing is starting a whole shit load of more shit for other people to deal with.

So put the knife, gun, pill bottle or whatever down. I know it looks hopeless, I know it looks like you're going to never find happiness. But you don't know that and the worst thing for you to do is give up. Where would mankind be if all we did was give up when it got tough. What kind of accomplishments would we have made if we just fucking threw in the towel because at times it felt like it wasn't worth going on, because at times it felt like we were alone. I'll tell you what, we'd be back in the stone age, we'd be doing nothing but sitting in a cave.

And stop telling yourself living on can't be done. Cause it can, people have done it before and so can you. There have been times in the past where things have looked hopeless, where it has looked like the end and people just like you, just like me told themselves they don't care if it looks hopeless, they don't care if it hurts, that they're not going to give up, that they're not going to give in and that they're going to keep fighting for what they believe in.

Each and everyone of you may think that you can't do that, but you can. You can go on living, you can go on pushing and you can go on aiming for what you hope for. It is never, never hopeless. And if you don't, that's going to be telling other people, people you care about and love, that it's okay to quit and that it's okay to just end it. And that's going to be you telling them it's okay to die. You may not have pulled the trigger, you may have not even pulled the hammer, but you damn well are putting a bullet in there.

So open your eyes and don't fucking tell yourself that you're the only one that's going, because you're not.

2. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

bravo chris .....:clap::clap::thumbup:

3. ASkylitDrive

ASkylitDrive Well-Known Member

Chris...the beginning made me cry. You are my best friend and one of the only few people there for me...Thank you.

4. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

If someone is so easily turned suicidal by other suicidal people shouldn't they have the common sense to avoid a gathering point of the suicidal?

Wouldn't that be a prime example of self-destructive behavior where they should "grow some balls and deal with it?"

5. ASkylitDrive

Because they are here to get help. Its not their fault some people are more outspoken than others Brandon.

6. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

I wouldn't think a place that made them more suicidal would be helping very much. ;)

This is a site for people to share their problems, not to walk on eggshells because of the ultra-sensitive.

If someone is freaking out because of every person in distress they see, that is an obvious problem, and it does not make sense how they should be any less liable to deal with it than someone who has a different problem.

7. ASkylitDrive

Well where should the 'ultra-sensitive' go? They can't just leave a good option of help because they can't stomach stuff. He is trying to say, because I was in the room at the time, that people shouldn't be saying "I'm cutting a knife deep into my arm" as a form of attention. If you are suicidal, don't be detailed with a giant group of people. That isn't the best idea. Maybe go into pms with someone you trust, and leave the simple things for the main chat.

8. Firelord

Firelord Active Member

There's a difference between sharing problems and standing around just repeatedly telling people you're killing yourself and that they get to talk to you while they do it.

Probably why the reason that the moderation does not allow the posting of suicide notes.