Suicide Myth Vs Fact.

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by boo, Feb 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boo

boo Well-Known Member

I will be posting some suicide common thinking and you will have to answer whether you think it's a Myth or Fact and why it is so. :eek:hmy: You can also add your own...

1 - People who talk about suicide are just trying to get attention. Myth or Fact?

2 - People who talk about wanting to die by suicide oftentimes kill themselves. Myth or Fact?

3 - Suicide always occurs without any warning signs. Myth or Fact?
  2. Vitreledonellidae

Vitreledonellidae Well-Known Member

1. Most of the time a fact. Its doesnt really have to be for attention, but most of the time talking about is letting people know you are really fucking down. Or hearing from others they dont want you to commit suicide, wanting to hear people care about you. But people who talk about it, most of the time attempt, I dont really see it as attention, more as a warning or a cry for help.
    2. Think its the same as 1
    3. I think there are always warning signs, I think most people are just to god damn blind to see it
  3. boo

boo Well-Known Member

4 - Once people decide to die by suicide, there is nothing you can do to stop them. Myth or Fact?

5 - Suicide only strikes people of a certain gender, race, financial status, age, etc. Myth or Fact?

6 - People who attempt suicide and survive will oftentimes make additional attempts. Myth or Fact?

7 - Boo is sexy! Myth or Fact? :blink::yay:
  4. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

4. Myth. There are things you can try to do, but it doesn't guarantee you'll be able to stop the person.

5. Myth, it can strike anyone.

6. Fact; I think I actually read that somewhere (besides just now, LOL).

7. Fact. :tongue:
  5. boo

boo Well-Known Member

You darn right boo sexy is a fact! :tongue:

8 - People who attempt suicide are crazy. Myth or Fact?

9 - People who attempt suicide are weak. Myth or Fact?

10 - People who talk about suicide are trying to manipulate others. Myth or Fact?

11 - SF rock my sock. Myth or Fact?
  6. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

8. Myth. They may be depressed, sad, lonely, or just going through a really difficult time, but they're not crazy.

9. Myth. It takes a lot of strength to fight the suicidal urges.

10. Myth. Most of the time, they're just trying to get some help.

11. FACT!
  7. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

Oooh, this looks like fun.

1. Myth. Maybe it's the wording of the statement, but I just do not agree. I don't believe it is done just for attention; that makes it sound like we're all just a bunch of attentions seekers, yet, at the same time, that's exactly what we are. Everything we come here for, it is to with getting attention from others. We tell our stories so people will listen and help us, we make friends so that we are counted for something and have people we can enjoy our time with. We want things like love, someone to care, someone to listen, but at the end of the day, it's all linked to attention. Despite this though, I can't say "Fact". It just doesn't sit right.

2. Myth. I think the majority of people have contemplated suicide at some point in their life, but very few of us actually have the guts or will to actually do it. At the end of the day, we want to be loved and cared for and no matter how low or depressed we may feel I think subconsciously we all still hope to find someone who will do just that. Oftentimes, people will try, but oftentimes, people will fail.

3. This is a hard one. Some people are really good at pretending & covering up how they feel, so to people on the outside it may not be so obvious. I'll go with Myth, simply because I believe, if you look hard enough, you'll eventually start seeing the cracks.

4. Myth. It really depends on their resolve and how determined they are, however this is most certainly not true of all people who decide to go this way. It can be extremely difficult to find the right words to make them reconsider, however I don't think it's impossible.

5. Absolute Myth. I won't deny that it is probably a lot more common amongst people of a certain background (such as abuse, poverty, etc.) but it certainly isn't impossible for a highly successful, rich, married husband of two to never contemplate taking his life. It can strike anyone, anywhere. It all really depends on how the person deals with the things life throws at them.

6. Fact. Not always, no but oftentimes, yes. Sometimes they find something to stop them or can take their past failure as a sign that perhaps this isn't how it's supposed to end for them. It's most likely very common for one to try again, though I don't believe it is always the case.

7. I'll go with Fact. :laugh:

8. Myth! Absolutely not. They're often misunderstood, without much hope & often deprived of something they should be getting, but definately not crazy. I won't deny that some people who contemplate suicide are crazy however, though that it often due to other factors.

9. Myth. I'd even venture to say that people who are suicidal are the strong ones; the realistic ones. We don't just put up with the crap life and other people throw at us, we look for a solution; even if it's often not the right one.

10. Oooh, Myth. BUT! Some people do use suicide to threaten, blackmail & guilt trip other people, which are all forms of some kind of manipulation. I don't believe that everyone who talks of suicide has this intention, however.

11. Fact! :]
  8. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

1. Myth, they're often suffering immensely and desperate for a solution.
    2. What does "often" mean?
    3. Myth, I've personally been intentionally laying down warning signs that were completely missed for years!
    4. Myth, most of us have made specific plans and are still alive
    5. Myth, though I'm pretty sure the suicide rate in poor countries is much lower
    6. Fact.
    7. Myth.
    8. Fact, the majority of suicides are by those afflicted by mental illness
    9. Insulting myth.
    10. Myth.
  9. boo

boo Well-Known Member

12 - People who are suicidal definitely want to die. Myth or Fact?

13 - You should never ask people who are suicidal person if they are thinking about suicide or if they have thought about a method, because just talking about it will give them the idea. Myth or Fact?

14 - When people who are suicidal feel better, they are no longer suicidal. Myth or Fact?

15 - Toothfairies are cheap basterd? Myth or Fact? :laugh:
  10. Escapist

Escapist Well-Known Member

This thread seems to be rather interesting. Here is my take on answering them.

--> NO 1: Myth
    WHY? : I couldn't call this a fact, there are alot of risks involved if you label it as one. What if the person in question isn't seeking attention and actually is telling the truth? It's not worth risking this huge factor, since it's about human life. People often need help with their problems, no matter small or huge, they shouldn't be laughed at or ignored. Even the smallest of problems could end up having the biggest of impacts. That's why this couldn't be possibly be entitled as a fact.

--> NO 2: Myth
    WHY? : I'm going to disagree with this line. Suicidal thoughts or behaviour don't always lead to an execution. People often desperately need help, or advice when suffering from being suicidal. Sometimes it's for mere appreciation or wanting to be acknowledged by others. They need to have a reason in order to be willing to linger any longer in this world.

--> NO 3: Myth
    WHY? : This can't be a fact. People who are determined to kill themselves won't ever lay warning signs, since they don't wish to be stopped and are certain that their lives aren't worth it or ruins others. Though let me explain why, I think this is a myth. While people are thinking of suicide and want to die, I don't think that the majority of that percentage actually wants to die. They lay warnings and signs in order to let others know that they are in NEED of help. Though not always these signs are noticed, which gives the suicidal person in question all the more reason to execute it's ideas. Being ignored, and not cared about in these desperate situations often leads to a suicide. When there are signs and warnings, the clock often starts to tick.

I'll answer the others later. Many of your questions feel rather similiar.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2010
  11. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Laying warning signs and exhibiting them are different. I doubt anyone can complete a suicide without having left some clue behind intentionally.
  12. touglytobeloved

touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

I wont answer all one by one, but i will say that there are so many diferent personalities and so many diferent reasons for being suicidal that we shouldnt even think about talking them in common, and saying that it is true or not.
    With few words: people might be suicidal, and in most of the cases they have their own reasons, and sometimes they think there isnt a solution, but there is and if they solve their problems they wont be suicidal anymore. SOme have unsolvable problems, and they will try (or succeed) suicide definitely, and they will do it more times if needed. Some might realise they were wrong after first attempt, and wont try again. Everyone shows signs of being suicidal, sometimes the signs can be shown long time before suicide, sometimes in the last weeks/days before the suicide. Even now showing a sign at all, just being numb, can be a sign of being suicidal. You dont have to make a tattoo "im suicidal" so it can be considered as a sign. Talking about suicide: sometimes helps to prevent or pospone it, sometimes might make you even more suicidal. Not talking aobut suicide: same as when talking. Talking about suicide can be a cry for help, need for attention, or just venting before the final act. Other people avoiding talking about suicide with suicidal person - definitely will make the person feeling more suicidal, it will convince them that they were right, that noone cares. When a person decided to die, it will do anything to do it, sometimes even not thinking about consequences, but if someone helps them find what they need in life, they will change their mind. If there is no solution for their problems, no matter what you say or do, you wont prevent it, you can just postpone it. Weak or no? Everyone says its the easy way (so... weak), but think twice and ask yourself how much strength is needed to make that decision and to be ready to face the consequencies of a failed attempt.
    There is a lot more to talk about on this subject, but i will say everything is a MYTH, because each suicide has a diferent story, and there is nothing that can be common for all suicides (or attempts). Thas why the word 'OFTEN' is mentioned so many times in those sentencies, so it doesnt make them facts, even if some of them are 90% true, there will be always at least 10% that will make them be myth.
  13. boo

boo Well-Known Member

So that's a "Myth" to all the questions i take it... :tongue: jk. You made some very interesting points.
  14. dreaminghome

dreaminghome Well-Known Member

1 - People who talk about suicide are just trying to get attention. Myth or Fact?
    I think it's both a Myth and a Fact. I talk about my experience of course. When my ex threatened suicide he wanted attention, he wanted me to marry him even though I didn't want to. Fact is I ignored him like I was ignoring a stupid kid, and he's still alive. When I'm suicidal I do not talk about it much, I do not want people's attention, I just want to die.

2 - People who talk about wanting to die by suicide oftentimes kill themselves. Myth or Fact?
    I think so, it's a Fact for me. One day will come when panic will exceed the resources to fight it and I'll die by suicide.

3 - Suicide always occurs without any warning signs. Myth or Fact?
    Myth. I think there are always warning signs, but it depends on the people around us to be able to spot them or not.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.