Suicide net groups face legal purge

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by mixedemotions, Sep 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mixedemotions

mixedemotions Forum Buddy

2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

very interesting.
    i think they should be allowed, because it's no-one else's responsiblity what someone does with their life, and coming closer to death via looking at methods could actually be a wake up call to someone that they really need to get help. I mean you never know what good can come of something that seems negative.

3. Ozibuna

Ozibuna Well-Known Member

Finally the law took these into consideration hehe. It's a good thing, i say jail not just purging but oh well. By the way, just a random piece of information that's rather related to this, in Russia being emo is forbidden by law. Another sort of purging some negative thoughts i guess.

4. fromthatshow

:rofl:
    being emo? what does that even mean? If they catch you with tight jeans and long hair they arrest you?

5. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

Moved to Soap Box :)

6. Alexpt2

Alexpt2 Well-Known Member

what is emo?

7. Ozibuna

Ozibuna Well-Known Member

Don't you know? It's that fad/wave/group or what not of kids that dress up in black, be all solitary listen to saddening music or what not. That's how the stereotype is propagated over here, and how the kids act as well. They'll cry out of any reason, ex: she looked at me wrong, i cried, etc etc etc.
    Here's something i found on wikia that may explain it better than i did, http://subculture.wikia.com/wiki/Emo .

8. mixedemotions

Wow i didnt think my thread would get post :biggrin:

Just thought i'd comment on some thing a member said

I actually founnd this site by searchin google for methods of suicide... I am really glad I checked this site out first before any of the rest of them. I have found great support here and I know for a fact that if i presed on any other linked I would be dead....or near enough.

Thanks for the comments...

9. mixedemotions

Oh and thanks Joe for moving my thread... I didnt know where to put it :)

10. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

i totally agree with this..

i think any site that actively encourages people to kill themselves or gives methods should be closed down

11. shazzer

shazzer Well-Known Member

Quote from mixed emotions I actually founnd this site by searchin google for methods of suicide... I am really glad I checked this site out first before any of the rest of them

Thats how I found this site too and I'm glad I didn't check out any of the others

12. mixedemotions

:biggrin: I agree sam!

13. Melancholy

Melancholy Well-Known Member

Yup, should definitely be shut down. I know for a fact that if I had found and entered a pro-suicide site rather than this one I would have been tipped over the edge, and would've made a serious attempt. Joining SF just helped me steer clear of that route, and I'm so glad that it did.

Any point of view which is pro suicide could send a person over the edge, where they may not have otherwise attempted.

14. Random

Random Well-Known Member

My problem is this. It's a whole lot easier to blame a web site than it is to solve the basic problem, which has nothing at all to do with web sites. It's not hard to figure out how to do it. It seems sick to encourage someone to do it but I really haven't seen much of that even on pro suicide sites. People seemed to figure out how to commit suicide well enough centuries before electricity was even available to power a computer.

15. perry_mason

perry_mason Well-Known Member

read about this in The Sun.

i think its a joke how people are trying to police the internet.
    how is this uk law going to be enforced? the internet is a worldwide resource.

people were killing themselves long before the internet.

16. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Well, it was always inevitable. Someday, the web will be about the same as cable television. It'll be nice and clean and safe for everyone. It'll also be about as interesting as watching grass grow.

Unfortunately, too many people can't (won't) police themselves. When that happens, it's only a matter of time before the authorities step in. I don't really care for censorship but the kind of freedom some people want (and what they think the web gives them) just isn't going to fly.

17. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

No one has any right to prevent me from ending MY life. Methods sites can be extremely good because they often help you to avoid methods that only will cripple you, and they may also put your mind off of doing it when you realise the risks behind what you had planned. But if you decide to take your life, after receiving methods help, that is YOUR choice. What would be next after making methods help illegal? Kitchen knives becoming illegal because they themselves scream method? Yes, I do despise people who prey on vulnerable people, but how the hell are you, with certainty, supposed to differ someone who only wants to help someone in insurmountable pain, to be able to escape it, from someone who just wants to prey on people? Put mind-reading microchips into the heads of the whole population?

I'm so happy that Sweden isn't showing any signs of taking this foolish route, yet.

18. fromthatshow

:agreed:
    Yes I haven't seen a whole lot of encouragement from pro-suicide websites. They're just basically saying if you want to do it, do it, if you don't, don't.

19. mixedemotions

Now thought I have thought about it....

In my own opinion I think that if some truely wanted to commit suicide, then they would surely know how to go about it?? would they really need to search for a method?

I understand that some one may have an idea of a method, but may which to look into it futher, but i'm sure if some one used their own imagain instead of relying on some sick website should really reconsider..

20. Tecky

Tecky Well-Known Member

I am against the legal purge! Those damn liberals have no right to tell us when we are allowed to die!

Can they comprehend 'life' in Singapore? Our government has repeatedly told us there is no hope for us but to work till the day we die. Can you (and those liberals) imagine what a lifetime of toil at the factory/warehouse/sweatshop is like? We are talking about 12 hour shifts for 6 days a week for a lifetime! I am 32 this year so that means at least 2 more decades of toil with no hope of change... Our government actually said it is likely people will live way past 80 and is using that as an excuse not to return our savings (enforced at 40% of our monthly wages) sooner. We do not even get to keep the money we earned! By the way, in case anyone wish to comment that even in free countries, citizens have to pay taxes, let me state that we pay regular taxes on top of the 40% enforced 'savings'.

In Singapore, 'human rights' is a dirty word. There is no dignity accorded to us. We have been repeatedly told that our opinions as people do not matter and that we can't change anything. Singapore is not a real country but a mega sweatshop with millions of voiceless and powerless workers.

Dying is the only thing we can look forward to. Don't take away that one (and only) act of freedom Singaporeans can afford.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.