Suicide net

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Sparrow91, Jun 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sparrow91

Sparrow91 Well-Known Member

Currently there is a debate about putting a suicide net on the Golden Gate Bridge in sf.
    It saddens me that there are so many people insensitive to suicide. Many people, but not all, are making comments like why waste money on them, or let them die who cares...
    It's shocking and my faith in humanity lessens. People don't realize that there is help that needs to be given not judgment..
    Not only is it tax payers that have complained but tourists say it will make the bridge less attractive! That pisses me off , they are more concerned with the beauty of a bridge than peoples lives...

Just I'm saddened by responses , amazing... :(

Maybe you all have thoughts about it, if not it's just information
    Take care
    You are all special

2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

I can certainly understand your sadness at the crass responses and the responses that are clearly meant to just be rude, shocking, attention getting, or even a poor attempt at humor. I will say if some of the responses were sincere they are the sick people. While I will leave it at that for now because I understand too well the feelings it causes when hearing people say these judgmental things, it is more the tone and words they used that are the issue than belief it is should not be done, which has a lot of room for very valid discussion. To me it comes down to a few truly mean type people and like always, a lot of people that do not consider how their words might effect others.

3. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

Here in the uk Beachy Head is a magnet for people who are suicidal and there are people who voluntarily patrol the area so as to talk to them & talk them out of their intentions and to direct them to professional help. That is what is needed on GGB not a suicide net.

4. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

& anyway with a safety net 911 services would still have to rescue them otherwise how else would they get back on the bridge

5. Sparrow91

NYJmpMaster , your right there are always people who will be mean...

Twocky I completely agree, they should have people patrolling there , I think it was mentioned but I don't think they are seriously considering the option.

6. Sparrow91

I thought I would put an update about the net.. It has been approved and have 76 million dollars to do it

7. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

I listened to a TED talk about a police officer whose job it was to patrol the bridge - so they do have a patrolling police presence there already

8. Sparrow91

To my knowledge it's just highway patrol on the bridge

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.