Suicide & News Question

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Entoloma43, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Entoloma43

Entoloma43 Well-Known Member

When someone commits suicide, are they generally reported by the local news?

I'm not sure really. I would think it would only be reported if like, the body was found in a public place, or they actually did it around other people. But if it was like inside an apartment or something?

2. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

Good Question.

I don't think so. Maybe in the paper under obituaries.

3. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

There was a news story in my local paper the other day that someone had committed suicide in their house...

4. Trident

Trident Active Member

My brother suicide was reported because we published an online and paper obituary.
    My friends one was NOT reported despite there was an obituary. She lived in Portland, so maybe thats because it was a big city..

not to mention the fact that many suicides are still considered as undetermined deaths. so the facts known about suicide are not even accurate.

5. RCC

RCC Well-Known Member

I would say that it depends on the town.

6. ~Serendipity~

~Serendipity~ Active Member

In the UK we were warned by the coroner that the press were allowed to sit in at the inquest. I was shocked as I thought it was a private thing but apparently not. Thankfully there were no press in that day.

7. Trident

Trident Active Member

having the media reporting my bro was horrible btw, It just stigmates more and more the family, and the dead.
    It hurt a lot, because it was a constant reminder after the utter shock, especially for my parents.
    They did not ask for our consent, nor think of what we felt a few days after the loss. Thats just wrong and selfish.
    They basically depicted him as a psycho college student, struggling probably with college issues for a long time. My brother offed himself in 6 months first.
    My brother was ill then, that is he was depressed,so he was no psychotic and he did not have college issues. he had issues over himself and prolly his on off gf. I felt insulted and I felt he was insulted. it was a BUNCH of lies .
    thats slightly different, huh

people would look really weird or afraid at my mom when she was at the groceries, or run to her and present their regrets.
    I understand people dont know what to say. Still, the media BS is a plague and they should not be allowed to report that, unless its a public person.

Im def thinking it was published because they live in a small town. It was not however reported where it took place, that is in my bro shared apt. 350 miles away .weird about this and I guess we were very lucky about that one.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2008
  8. Bigman2232

Bigman2232 Well-Known Member

On campus the school website just says that the flag is at half mast for such and such. They never say how the person died but most people know that it was suicide. School likes to cover that kind of stuff up.

9. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

In my country suicide is almost never mentioning in newspapers...Its big tabu, althought we are one of 10 most suicidal countrys...
    I dont want to name my country...I will only say that its not small...

10. jonstark

jonstark Well-Known Member

The media avoid reporting suicide. There are studies that show that suicide coverage on the news leads to copycat suicides. For example when Kurt ate the barrel, apparently there was an increase of shotgun suicides immediatly after.
    So the governments try to keep suicide stories quiet.

11. Sa Palomera

Sa Palomera Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the situation and the place, really.

When family tells the press, I assume it will be reported. But in some cases, it won't be reported. I guess it kinda depends on how 'important' the papers think it is, and on the amount of other news :unsure:

12. nicesinging1

nicesinging1 Well-Known Member

According to an article I read recently, there are at least 1 million people worldwide who die from suicide every year. Do you think that # is underestimated? How many people do you think pass away due to suicide each year out of 6.654 billion people?

13. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

I think we should have a suicide awareness week or day.

I am sick of the whole issue being swept under the rug.

This issue needs the lid blown off!

14. Sa Palomera

Sa Palomera Well-Known Member

15. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I think it depends on the community and the laws in place as to how much information is to be released. I don't believe they are supposed to mention the names of minors.

16. Random

Random Well-Known Member

It probably depends on the circumstances. I haven't seen any suicides reported in my local news (not that I've been watching for them or anything). And I'm sure there must be some in this general area. I guess, maybe, that's one area where the media actually does (surprisingly) show some sensitivity to the surviving family.

17. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I live in Canada and they never report suicides. I agree that doing news stories when someone comits suicide may cause copycat suicides, but I also think that the issue shouldn't just be swept under the rug. Only celbrity suicides are reported in the media. I think a suicide awareness day would be a good start.

18. liveinhope

liveinhope Well-Known Member

My friend committed suicide at home it was all over the local papers sadly and on the local news :mad:

19. joanne

joanne Member

They reported my father's suicide in the newspaper (UK). He wasn't a public figure or anything like that and we don't know who told them. I don't think anything could have made us feel worse at that point but it was certainly quite shocking to read it.

20. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Thanx for asking this question, it's something I've been wondering about for a while now.

It appears most of the answers here seem to be indicating that the press in England are more likely to cover suicides, which is a big blow to me as I plan on taking my own life soon in quite a controversial way. (I would say how, but it'd more than likely be edited out by a mod for revealing a method.) Changing my method is outta the question.

It just makes me think of doing it in a place where my body will never be discovered now. I've always hated the media for their vulture like behaviour and general callousness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.