Suicide not from depression

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by lachrymose27, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lachrymose27

lachrymose27 Well-Known Member

anyone ever feel like/thought of suicide for reasons other than depression/sadness?

I use to think of suicide when I had depression, but now, brought up by something else: the (get this) purpose of life in existence. a common question that people ask.

what is your purpose?

for some its starting a family, that is their whole purpose. people die anyway, yeah? you may or may not see your grandchildren grow up. but it doesn't matter then you've died, this needless recycling of life, why not just end all this pointless cycle?

self-gratification... that is essentially everyone's purpose yeah? when dead, all that goes away, have fun then die, I cannot wrap my head around that one.

is there a coin term for someone who just "doesn't see the point in everything" ? i can't remember off the top of my head or if there is such term.

2. topper

topper Well-Known Member

Nihilist?

Most religious peeps would say they're here to make the world a better place. To spread their gospel. Even irreligious people would say the same thing. Some people just want to help others, and that's a purpose.

I'm still tryin' to find my own. Helping others seems like a great place to start. I hate my nihilist tendencies. Despite my lack of faith, I've begun to truly seek it out again since posting here originally, with mixed results so far.

My goal--tentatively--is to question my original intentions in losing my faith with the same vigor I originally questioned religion itself. If that makes sense.

3. lachrymose27

lachrymose27 Well-Known Member

Yeah, i think that is the correct term, thanks.

4. CatherineC

CatherineC Staff Alumni

Why does there have to be a purpose?

5. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

Existential Depression? I had a word document with a whole lot on it, might be on my other computer lol. I'd say look it up, fairly interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.