Suicide Notes

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by lil-sis-one-of-two, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lil-sis-one-of-two

lil-sis-one-of-two Well-Known Member

Hi

Does anybody think writing suicide notes to frineds and family are a good idea?

2. andyc68

andyc68 Guest

its better to talk to the people who the notes are for first, sometimes you need the help of those who love you the most.
    take care

3. Entoloma43

Entoloma43 Well-Known Member

It's difficult to say since people react differently. There are advantages as well as disadvantages to writing one, you just need to consider both. Also, there are websites online that discuss this and what to include / not include in one.

4. Blackness

Blackness Guest

yes a great idea

5. Nessarose

Nessarose Well-Known Member

I agree. ^ Please talk to your loved ones first.

Stay safe. :hug: Feel free to tell us why you are suicidal, too. Getting it out can be a relief.

6. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

I personally think it's very important that those you love and leave behind are made aware of the reasons for suicide it may help them with their grief in the present and future,a suicide leaves a massive gap in family life and many families have great difficulty coming to terms with it (if ever),so yes i'm all for suicide notes if possible.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2007
  7. nogood4no1

nogood4no1 Member

I guess my feeling is that if friends and family didn't care enough to listen and feel any degree of concern before my death, what makes me feel I should waste the paper and ink to write anything - for me to take the time to write a note would mean that I was concerned that there was someone who cared about me - that would be affected by not having me in this world with them.

I envy the people that have family and friends that they feel would totally be affected by their death. Maybe I could stop crying and living in a black hole if I had that. That's the stuff that I dream about. I've been dreaming my whole life about.

8. LostMyMind

LostMyMind Well-Known Member

I would most likely write one so the people I know don't blame themselves for the death of me.

9. Lead Savior

Lead Savior Well-Known Member

It is a good idea if you plan on killing yourself, because a lot of people will be wondering why the hell you did it.

On the other hand, if you plan on using it as a means of communication because you have trouble expressing yourself verbally, then it is a great idea. Just don't call them "suicide notes" if you plan on sticking around I guess.

10. ih8u

ih8u Active Member

i think suicide notes are stupid. if you have so much to say then stay alive and say it. if you're going to kill yourself why bother explaining? everything will sound selfish to them anyway. people will hear what they want to hear. understanding why the person killed themself won't bring them back anyway.

11. wasted99

wasted99 Member

I'd write one only because I know my mom would use my death to make it a pity party for her. I'd make sure she knew and everyone else knew that it was not about her in a positive or negative way, so she needs to get over herself.

12. Feared.Desire

Feared.Desire Well-Known Member

Yes, I think writing a note is a good idea.
    First off, sometimes when I’m having troubles sleeping, I lay there thinking about what I would write. While I did, I noticed things, like how much I’d hurt them if/when I do/did. So it’s helping keep me here longer thinking or writing them, or writing them.
    Second, I disagree with ih8u. Why explain, you won’t be alive anyways. That’s true, you won’t, but they will be. If you care about them, you don’t want them spending their entire life, (or however long), thinking, “What if it was my fault?”
    Your not writing the note for yourself, your writing it for the others who care about you.

13. expressive_child

expressive_child Well-Known Member

Definitely a good idea. I mean, its the only way they can undertstand 'why'. I don't want others to wonder why I'd do it.

14. xXWhateverItTakesXx

xXWhateverItTakesXx Forum Buddy

Yes, I think they are a good idea.

I find when I am writing I am able to say more, rather then talking when I just freeze.

I always think what I would write. I would tell my mum it was not her fault and explain my reasons. It will never help anyone 100% get over the grief, but it would ease the pain a little.

15. Amica_1961

Amica_1961 Member

I have often composed notes in my mind, thinking to explain why, but am unsure if it is a good idea or not.

16. Xian

Xian Well-Known Member

i've written a few and i still have them actually. i think it was a good way to get the thoughts out. some people are afraid because it's a little too close to actually doing it but it was always therapeutic for me.

17. kilnair

kilnair Member

I can not claim to understand where you are coming from with your own feelings or what your feelings are. Though not to sound like a broken
    record, but I would encourage you to stop. Then give some thought about how peope that know you might react to your death.

I was ready to take my life this labor day weekend, but here on this board I was referred to thread which a mother basically explain how the aftermath of her son's death has effected her.

The thing that I discovered about myself, and the point she was trying to get across is this. No matter how you try to explain your actions say through a letter, tape recording, video, etc. Human nature will kick in for the people left behind, and these people will forever be asking themselves the same question again and again "what if...." until the day they die.

As for me and how I feel still today. I feel like a gutless coward who could not do the one thing that matter the most, but I am not a cruel person who wants to keep hurting people that care about me.

So bottom line please give some thought about your decision

18. ih8u

ih8u Active Member

They'll blame themselves even if you tell them it's not their fault and you can indicate in your letter it's so and so's fault that you died and that person might feel absolutely no remorse whatsoever. The way I see it, the only nice thing about a suicide note is that at least the cops won't be looking into possible murder. Or they might. They might think it's a forged note unless you pour out a long essay. Still could be.
    I don't feel they need to understand. They didn't understand before when you tried to explain it to them and get help, is it going to be any more clear when written on a note and stamped with a seal of death? I think all the things you want to say should be done in person. What's a measly note going to do? Something for the keepsake box.

19. geolab101

geolab101 Well-Known Member

sometimes it can be helpful to write things down but talking them out works better for me even if i feel like people don't understand and don't really care.

20. life

life Well-Known Member

Writing a suicide note can be good.If ur family knows what ur going throught then wrighting a comforting note and telling them that not to blame them selfs cuz its not their fault..If u know exactly what u are going to write than just do it without thinking....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.